3/4 Ton with best fuel economy

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lohse's Lawn Service, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I'm in the market for a used 3/4 ton pick-up truck, preferably extended or crew cab. Anything probably from '99-'03. I'm looking for your input on which 3/4 ton will provide the best gas mileage while pulling my trailer. Sure, pulling just about anything will drop the mpg down a bit, and I am pulling quite a load. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Get a diesel!!!:usflag:

3. Quiky One

Quiky One LawnSite Member

Diesel or gas motor?

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The Dodge with the Cummins will average 15-20 MPG and are going for about 10k right now. Bullet proof, easy to work on. The sticks are tougher than the automatics in those years. They were still trying to build an auto tranny that could take commercial abuse. 2WD will also save fuel and is not necessary unless you plow with it too.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

PS is right. I've got an '05 Ram 2500 w/ a Cummins. In the town pulling my trailer I average 16 mpg & Hwy anywhere from 20 to 24 (24 on a rare occassion under ideal conditions).

6. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

are you talking gas or diesel, either way its gonna be a chevy or gmc,

7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed. GM is the best bet on fuel, we also found the GM 4wd system far better than ford.

8. Lohse's Lawn Service

from US

I'd like to know the pros and cons of both, along with the mpg on the suggested vehicle. I appreciate it.

9. Lohse's Lawn Service

from US

I'd take either. I'd like to know the pros/cons of both and the mpg on the suggested vehicle. I appreciate everyone's help.

10. Quiky One

Quiky One LawnSite Member

I can tell you Chevy's and GMC's...
    I have both of the gas versions 5.3 and 6.0.
    The 5.3 gets 19.5 on the highway empty and 16 in town empty. Down a 6k pound car trailer at 65-70 on fairly flat terrain at 2800 RPM's yields anywhere from 12-14 MPH.
    The 6.0 gets 16 on the highway empty and 13 in town empty. It has plenty of power but is a gas HOG. Towing you are lucky to get 10...

I have driven a new LBZ 2006-2007 Dmax with the 6 speed ally and it got 19-21 on the highway and 17-19 in town. Towing the same car hauler 6k pounds it got 16-18. The diesel is a powerhouse and if you can afford it go for it. They will last a long time and are reliable.

Jason