1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3.4 toyata...will it last hauling 2500 plus?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sdelorey494103, Feb 27, 2007.

1. sdelorey494103

sdelorey494103 LawnSite Member
    from Capecod

Just started a buisness last year and got a few clients. Any advice would be great on what i should do.
  2. Jeff3004x4

Jeff3004x4 LawnSite Member

Depends around town yes you shouldn't have any issues, on the highway though its going to have trouble with hills. I wouldn't hesitate to use the truck but I would keep my eyes open for a bigger truck with more power.
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I used a 3.4 for 4 years with no problems, I plowed with it also.....great trucks.....It was a 96 and I sold it with 151,000 and it was still running strong.....
  4. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

toyata trucks are small but i will say MOST of them do last along time of getting beat around and driven hard. I never had one but this guy that checked our wells had one, and he would beat the **** out of this truck i dont know if he was always late or just had his foot to the floor all the time. But it lasted him along time and he probaly put 200-300 miles on it in a day and the company that he worked for sold it with 278,000 on it and it was a 1998 dont know how much they got for it but he is driving a new 2006 toyota now so they must be a good truck if they can haul all his well equipment with it and be driven hard
  5. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

it will get you by and probably do just fine for you, keep the maintenance up on it and maybe do some small upgades will help it perform and last alot longer. But you should probably keeps your eyes open for a heavier duty truck that would be better suited for this line of work.

( i upgraded my trurk with: cone air filter,flowmaster muffler, hotter spark plugs and wires, performance chip, better shocks. all but the muffler was bolt-on,so i did it myself, and all of it added up to around $500. i gained alot of power and increased my gas millage which both we're extremely noticeable)
  6. sdelorey494103

from Capecod

What website would be good to look for upgrades like these
  7. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

jegs.com, nearly any auto store website
  8. sdelorey494103

from Capecod

Do you have any idea on how much i should charge for delivering and spreading 1 yard of mulch besides the gas cost which will be figured in later...
  9. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i just charge 65 an hour plus cost.
  10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i do cost x 2. that works pretty good...or if im feeling frisky maybe 125%...lol