3/4 vs 1ton and a Flatbed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JFizzle, Sep 19, 2006.

1. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

Alrighty folks I'm looking to get a new truck and want some input and advice. I am hoping to get something to put a flatbed on so that on my solo days I can have the least amount of stuff and not pull a trailer. This is also a truck I will be pushin snow with. I plan on spending no more than 12k on the truck.
    Anyone else do this? Any thoughts on the idea?

Questions about trucks:
    1. In order to put a flatbed on is a 3/4 ton enough or do I need a 1 ton? What are the differences besides weight capacity? Are axles different?
    2. For this sort of application does having a Ford Dodge or Chevy matter?
    3. Diesel - never had one. I love the idea of more power and better gas milage. But fuel is more for it. Does the higher MPG make up for the cost? -Does a diesel tick people off when your plowing their apartment complex at 2am.
    Thanks in advance.
    Joe

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I never did like the loooks of a single wheel flat bed...the look horrible to me even on a brand new truck. SO I say get a 1ton dully.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Either a 1 ton or 3/4 ton with a flatbed is okay. It requires a bit of homework. What will be the total weight of the equipment and tools.

Brand: each have advantages, each short falls as well. All preference.

I have a flatbed on a 1979 Ford 1/2 ton, no problems with the setup. Dad and brother have flatbed hay bale un-rollers on 3/4 tons, weight of two bales up to 4000 LBS. Granted highway time is limited.

4. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

Thanks. Could you tell me the exact differences between a 3/4 and a 1 ton?

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Generally brakes and some suspension parts. Depends on the make of vehicle. Axles may be heavier on the 1 ton as well.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on what you want to haul. What the DOT looks at is the gvw tag on the door post that states the manufacturers gvw.

The older 3/4 tons you want one with a minimum 8600lb gvw a dually 1 ton usually has a 11,000lb gvw.

As for diesel trucks it all depends on how good you are at maintenance or how many miles you plan on driving. If you never had a diesel truck maybe stick with a gasser.