3.5 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsmith82, Aug 24, 2004.

1. tsmith82

tsmith82 LawnSite Member
    from toledo

I just got started up this and and own a JD 36" WB. A lady called today and isn't happy with her LCO now and wanted a bid. Comes out shes got 3.5 acres and theres a good amount of trimming. The current LCO charges her $500/ month. I hate to turn away business, but would anyone think of cutting that large of a yard with a 36" deck on a WB.

I told her I hope to have some larger equipment next yr, and I'll give her a call. What would you guys charge on something like that?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Well figure it like this. Say you get a new 52" lazer and finance the whole thing and it cost's you $200 a month. So you cut it for $500 a month and make $300 and the other 200 pay's for the new mower. You now have a new bigger mower and can get some bigger lawns AND are still making that extra $300 a month. Its a win win situation!!!

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless the lady becomes a liability ( PITB ) and you lose her, and your new mower's meal ticket. I don't think I'd put all my eggs in one basket, But, I would have done it for $500... That would be $500 more than before, no? Save the five hunch a month until you buy a 52-60" machine out right, or maybe find other prop's similar to hers that pay similarly, So you can justify the ZTR.. Just my nickel..

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

if you have the time I'd try it I think because I don't believe as a LCO you could get $500 a month for 3.5 acres here.

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I would do it in a heartbeat. It will only take a few extra minutes to cut with a 36" rather than a 52"

6. Papa Wheelie

Papa Wheelie LawnSite Member

no way! i have a 36 surfer and that property would take me at least 3 hours of mowing and maybe 1.5 of edging
    4.5 hours a week x 4 weeks = 18 hours per month
    That is only $27.78/hour
    with my costs, i figure i wouuld only make about $18/per hour profit.
    my price would be more like $800 - $900 per month

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Really?

I wouldn't even consider doing 3.5 acres with a 36, but I'm probably a bit spoiled.
    That would be 2.5-3 hours with trimming, using a 36".

8. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

I would do it in an instant,even with a 36".Turning people down is an easy way to go out of business.So go for it.As long as there is profit.You'll build up money for a new 52" rider.
    The only way I would turn it down is if I absolutely did not have time to do it.

9. tsmith82

tsmith82 LawnSite Member
    from toledo

I almost agree with you printer88, turning down business my first year is no good. I think I might call the lady back and maby land the job. I'm up in OH so there isn;t to much mowing left in the season and hopfuly by next year I can get a larger deck. It's gonna be a long day when I cut hers though!

10. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I think your numbers would look more like this:

4.5 hours per week x 33 weeks = 148.5 hours per year
    $500 x 12 months = $6000
    $6000 / 148.5 = $40.40 per hour

That's $30 per hour profit based on Wheelie's numbers. I'm not sure where you need to be, but I don't think that is too bad. And you do not have the expense of the new mower.

Just my .02