1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3.5 B&S Classic questions

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Robert Doubrava, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

I recently acquired a 20" Murray push mower from my Grandfather and I have some questions for you mechanics out there. It has old gas in the tank, but I just put a little fresh gas in it. Will the old gas mess the engine up?:confused: It runs great and doesn't smoke at all and I need to get the blade sharpened in order for it to cut right. Thanks guys:)
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

How old is the "old gas"? For the amount the fuel tank holds I'd want to get rid of all the old stuff and put new in.

Can't say that the old stuff will mess the engine up but best not to chance it IMO.
  3. Robert Doubrava

Engine: 1990 B&S Classic
    Gas is about two years old. I started it and it ran good again. Runs pretty fast and loud too!:eek: I can get it to idle by adjusting the fuel/air screw and thats usually how I run it while testing the engine. I'll choke it and run it to get it hot, and then I'll idle it down to "inspect" the good 'ol Briggs. Thanks Rob!:) :)
  4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Not a mechanic but would not take a chance!!!! Change gassss
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you had removed the bad gas to begin with you probably would not have had to adjust the carb. Do it right, change the gas.
  6. Robert Doubrava

No problem with the gas. All the bad stuff's burned out. It's got mostly good fuel in it now.:)
  7. floydboy

floydboy LawnSite Member

When you said it ran fast, What did you mean? Is it running over 3600 RPM's? If you don't know how to check RPM's you can buy a pocket sized Digital Tach available at any small engine sales & service to check it with. What ever you do do not touch the tach to the spark plug wire as it will ruin it. Just point it at it about 2 to 3 inches away.:cool:
  8. Robert Doubrava

I've got another question. I was mowing a yard today with a HUGE backyard with the little mower, and it died out on me and I could see thin white smoke coming off of the engine. I ran to my garage and got my toolbox and ran back to the mower. The smoke was coming from the carburetor area. I took the air filter off and I looked all around for damage of some sort. I couldn't find anything wrong. The tank was full, oil level was good, and it ran fine before this little happening. Any ideas what it could be? :)
  9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like it has trash in it and it might have gotten clogged, was it a smoke or a misty light smoke???????
  10. Robert Doubrava

It was white smoke. I know that real thin white smoke comes out of the carburetor when the engine has been running for a while, but this wasn't that kind of smoke. I'm gonna do a little check up today. I'm gonna take the blower cover out off the engine and see if anything's mest up in there. Thanks