3/8" & flow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone else have luck flowing 3, or more gallons an hour through a chemlawn gun, when it's on the end of 400' of 3/8 inch hose?
    When I set my regulator at 140 psi, I'm still only flowing 2.29 gallons per minute. I thought for sure, I'd be able to get more flow than that! :eek: I know better than to try and run more pressure, because I have doubts my Chemlawn gun could handle much more pressure.
    I recently bought a green nozzle for my gun, so I could start practicing with higher flow rates. Since I've got long legs. It's more comfortable for me to walk at 3 mph, than the 1.5 mph I've been walking at while spraying lawns.
    Today, I tried calibrating so that I was flowing 4 gallons per minute (since I will cover 2k sq. ft. per minute at 3 mph, while throwing an 8, to 9 foot pattern. Since I've been spraying 2 gallons per k lately, I'll need that kind of flow. The only other option I know of, would be to narrow my pattern, so I'm not covering as much area per minute. An option I'd rather not be forced to take.
    While I did spray lawns all last year (with great results) using a 1 gallon per k rate. I like the fact that there's less of a chance you'll burn a lawn with a 2 gallon per k rate.
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vic

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

you can get more pressure out of it. Im thinking I am close to 200 psi. I also run a rate at 1.5 gal /1000 and has been working great. Not to little to hamper results but not to much you run out in a few hours either. I have been using the yellow nozzle for larger droplets.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

2 gal per min is about all youl get out of 3/8 hose

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It is simple--really-- to double the flow you must quadruple the pressure. Talk to a hose company or visit the website of same. Look at the flow charts.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

i can crank up the pressure and u will still only get so much out of a 3/8 hose
    for some applications i put the 1/2 inch hose back on

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

true, but you need to also consider pressure loss in 400 fet of hose, not exactly the most efficient conductor of pressure in the world. at 400 feet, I like open pressure w/ the lesco gun to be about 150-160 at the pump, this usually means about 220 closed, at the pump. there is no way there is even anything remotely close to that at the tip. I also have a walking speed that is more natural for 2k per min and the most I get, flow wise, is 2.75 gallons per minute, even with no tip on. At the pump, on a one inch line, I get nine at the same idle speed,so take what you will from that info.

7. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like I'll have to go back to my gallon per k rate. At least I'll be able to make good time. As long as you don't overapply AI. I've seen first-hand how effective that hot of a mix can be. At least I'll be able to do that many more lawns I guess. :)

Vic

8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

In a earlier post I advised that the different colored spray tips have corresponding specific output ranges. For example: A yellow spray tip has a 2.0 to 2.5 gal/k maximum output. This is so that the pressure does not alter the droplet-size that the tip was designed for. If the total output limit is exceeded, droplet size will actually decrease, resulting in "misting" and poor coverage.
    All Chemlawn spray tips were engineered for a 1000 sq.ft./min. pace. This ensures a even pattern and helps prevent missed areas or over-application. Simply "jacking up the pressure" to fit your pace is a common mistake for inexperienced applicators. Making a wider spray pattern (wider than 8') will affect results as well. The standard 6'-8' pass, spraying back to the center of your footprints on the return pass should give you a net of 3'-4' per pass regardless of the spray tip used. Spray technique should only be altered when windy conditions exist (10-15 mph) and, when doing a trim pass such as next to a curbs, walks or plant material(s). Examine the labels on the products you use or plan on using carefully. Many products have minimum end-dilution rate/acre required for good control. As reducing the total volume going down on that acre increases, the concentration of a given pesticide goes up. Fungicides in particular can require more than 43 gal./acre of total product for effective control.

9. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

use a spray wand youll get up to 5gpm no problem I HATE that stupid chemlawn gun no consistant coverage

10. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

the 400 ft 3\8 hose is great and light but its not going to get u the rates the 1\2 inch will i need the 400ft to get to back yards on some lawns so i have to work around the flow rates but it can be done and work well