3 acres of leaves

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Tha5150, Mar 26, 2012.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

He's using a mulch kit but he has grass to mulch it into. You have dirt so instead of seeing full leaves it will be 1/4 of a leaf spread all over. Which ever way you cut it both jobs look like a hack ran it over. The lawn pictured is cut way short and my customers would flip there lid if I mulched there leaves. Why not just put a catcher on one mower and be done with it.

2. Since there is virtually no grass, I think backpacks and a couple helpers is the best way to go.....

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

No mulch kit, just side plate
    -Lawn was St.Augustine and cut at about 3 inches...we go from 4.5 inches in summer down to about 3 inches in fall-
    Agreed it is more difficult without grass, but you can do it--the grass makes it much easier
    I don't bag cause organic matter for the lawn is much better than not...moisture retention, makes soil healthier...which makes grass grow better-bagging sucks up lots of dirt as well over time-plus bagging up leaves and hauling them off is sorry...
    I would agree that bagging has its place...when there is so many leaves they would be accumilated after mulching them up...
    i would also agree that bagging a yard typcially looks a little nicer-that doesn't mean that I would do it...hauling off debris is a losing proposition...guys up north get paid to do it, down south people don't pay for you to do it...they just expect it (if you bag)

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

So, what did you end up doing and what did you learn?:usflag:

5. cpfriz

cpfriz LawnSite Member

Oak Tree leaves are the worst one to work with in FL
    1. They are small to mulch.
    2. Small enough to get into or between the St. Augustin grass roots (Hard to rake)
    3. If you do mulch them first they have to be dry and 2nd since all the leaves are brown it doesn't look like you did anything after your done.

My opinion blow all the leaves in piles and load in a tarp or a large cloth. This will save you at least 1-2 hrs from bagging and then dumping.

6. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

have done it this way in the past and it works well especially since she has a burn pile she wants them all dumped in

7. AllBrad

AllBrad LawnSite Member

Spend $300 or whatever it cost and purchase a side bagger for your mower. A little gas money and a very small profit. Consider the hard work and extra labor time an investment for the next leaf job. It is paying for the new bagger. On the next job, and there will be more, you can charge more money and spend less time doing the work.
    I personal mulch when I have grass, and rake (blower) or vac in dirt.

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

We use blowers and big tarps. Blow all the leaves to center fill tarp and drag to road. Then tie the tarp and lift it into the dump truck or open trailer. The big tarps take 3 guys to lift some times especially if wet.

9. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread makes me laugh.