3 acres on walk-behind!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasshopperslc, May 12, 2005.

1. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

Hi guys whats the biggest lawn you would mow with a 52" walk-behind W/sulkie.Just wonder what you would have done?? I ended up mowing around 3 acres of grass that was 1' tall,with a 52" Scag walk-behind and sulkie!! That sucked!! It took me several hours to just mow the lawn,and after I was done I felt like jello.Also to make things worse the person was super cheap.Are original bid was $125 bucks and she didn't take it so we went lower till she would (BAD IDEA).The price ended up being $65 bucks!!! Keep in mind this is one of are first customers a long time ago.Well we did her lawn for a while until she waited at least 3 weeks and called us for it to be cut,and at the time are trailer was down so we could not get to her until a week later,and by then her grass was at least 2' high so we tried and the belts broke on the mower,and that was the last time we saw her. That whole thing was just plain Dumb!!!! :laugh:
    The GrassHoppers
    61" Ferris IS4500 CAT diesel
    52" Ferris DD walk-behind
    32" Ferris hydro-walk
    21" Snapper Hi-Vac commercial
    Two Redmax trimmers
    One Redmax blower
    One Stihl BG55 blower
    16' Trailer
    1987 Chevy K-5 Blazer
  2. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

My advice to you.......If you are going to do more than a couple acres...get a rider the goes 10mph.

Time is money :cool2:
  3. grasshopperslc

That was a long time ago and now we have the right equipment,and yes time is money!!payup

We sold all are old mowers including that 52" Scag in the story

Thanks for the response!! :D
  4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Before I had my two ZTRs, I mowed four acres with a 52" walk behind. I did have a sulky, but it was very rough, uneven ground, let me tell you it sucked.
  5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

with a 44" WB on foot. Lots of hills, bumps. 3 hours. Man that sucked! My feet were so sore, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.......
  6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I mow about five acres on my place with a Hustler Super walk-behind with a BullRider; it has a few decent slopes on it and pretty rough. It takes me less time with my SWB than it did on a Super Z. and the SWB wasn’t as hard on my body as the Z was. I know that I would not touch my place with a pistol grip walk-behind that’s for sure!
  7. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

"Are original bid was $125 bucks and she didn't take it so we went lower till she would (BAD IDEA).The price ended up being $65 bucks!!!"

Hmmmm.. hey pedro, can you come mow my grass, and I'll only need it cut every 3 weeks. And I can only give you $10 now, but I will get the rest for you later. Oh, and can you pick the trash up a little around my trash cans before you mow cause my killer dobermans got loose again.

I'll be back in town next week sometime and I will call you when I get the rest of your money. (snickers)
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

never lower your price.....and always get money upfront (at least 50%) on work for non-regular customers.

if they don't like your price then walk...............what you did for $65 is robbery

9. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

Every week I cut 2 acres in 1 1/2 hours with a 36" belt-drive walk-behind with no sulky. I do cut at full speed at 5mph so I jog behind the mower (Yes I look like a jackass but its for my cousin and neighbors in the middle of nowhere). With a good 52" hydro w/b going 7 mph with a sulky I probably could've done 3 in 2 hours or less. $65 was a rip job either way.
  10. grasshopperslc

Hey guys I see most of the threads are fine,but I do see a couple that are pretty stupid,and that's putting it kindly.Do you think I just did it yesterday!!! That lawn was like are first lawn,so cut down on the "Pedro" and "Snickers" stuff :nono: .For the rest of the post's like Pro Cut (he's up a couple of threads)and J.Gordan. That's great I found some one that mowed more than 3 acres of grass with a 52" walk-behind,hats off to ya' bud!! :drinkup: