3 acres with a 48" walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Amco Landscaping, May 31, 2006.

1. Amco Landscaping

Amco Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am going to try and do a 3 acre lawn on saturday with my 48" scag walk behind with a sulky. Its a $130 a cut what do you think? Is the price good? how long do you think it will take?

matt

2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the time then great! Persoanlly i think the price is a little low, min i would have said was $150 closer to $180 without seeing how much trimming so maybe more. (but thats for this area)

3. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that $160 would be fair, it would pro take about 2 hrs for me to do start to finished, average obsticles and trimming that is.

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If you can do it and still make a profit, I would say do it. Here, that job would go for about $90. The upside is I could cut it in about 30 minutes.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We use to cut a 3 acre residential in 1 hour with a 48" lazer and a 50" gravely WB. That includes trimming around the fence that went around the entire property. We got $120 per cut and did it for 2 months. The guy was so impressed with the lazer he went out and bought a 72" grasshopper and dropped us. That came out of his own mouth so I know thats why he got rid of us. Funny thing is he had allllllllllllll kinds of problems with his mower.

I am going to say $130 is a little low concidering its going to take you longer than somebody with a ZTR. I figure you should be able to do it in 2 1/2 hours.

6. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Thats priced right on but jeez not going anywhere for a while. Invest in an ipod and put the buds under your earmuffs.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do 1.5 with my Toro 48" at 85 dollars, takes me right at 90 minutes cut and trim flat out once over.

Even 1.5 acres is like omg is it ever going to end...What I recommend is do what I do and section it off into squares, do sections at a time so then it doesn't feel so bad... I have my 1.5 divided into 3 square sections and I just think to myself like I am doing 3 residential lots all together or something, it's not so bad.

I could likely do 3 acres, but again, section it off into pieces and parts you can swallow, I think that will help.
    Also, drink a good swallow of water before you start, and take a break every now and then to intake more h2o

Money-wise, I would've bid 140 here in virginia and that may be a tad on the high side but with a 48".... 120-130 is better, and if you find you're a bit on the low side, well take it all in stride, it is good money for 3 hours work... Likely I would do it myself for that money.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, i do a 5 acre+ lawn for $115, sucks, its either $140 next year or they can find the next crap company to do it for this rate or more. I do it on a 61" ztr mower though so its not terrible, still takes a lonnnnggg time.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

i once did 1.5 acres with my 34" walkbehind simplicity, man that ate up way over an hour....

then i also did back years ago a 1.4 acre property with a 21" propelled push mower lol, talk about gas fill ups and 2 and a half hours out in the sun, was hardly worth the $75 back even then.