1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3 bag catcher for ztr

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by captken, Feb 12, 2004.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the 3 bag catcher for my Hustler ztr. I have been very pleased with the results.

On and off installation is easy, and customer support from the manufacturer is good.

I had a problem with the supplied muffler tip [exhaust gas deflector] supplied with the kit, screw fell out and both tip and heat shield fell off [I installed them improperly I think] and ended up burning a hole in the bag near the muffler, after backing into the decompost heap [pushed the bag into muffler]

I called the manufacturer [Humbolt Specialty Manufacturing Company] and talked to the owner [on New Years Eve] he was sympathetic and promised to air ship a new bag, a new heat shield and a new muffler tip and it arrived pronto.

I tack welded the muffler tip [works better than installing it with the supplied mounting screw] and installed the heat shield properly [using nylock nuts] and its good to go.

Another problem was with the castor weights, which locked my front wheels [unable to pivot freely, locking wheel crossways] and ended up tearing the turf [wheel weights rode on top of pivoting arn of the castor]

Called manufactor and was sent spacer kit which solved the problem.

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate the way Hustler and it's subcontractors have handled my little problems.

It's through interaction between customers and manufacturers that products improve and customer satisfaction grows

Thanks guys!
  2. BLC3

BLC3 LawnSite Member

Do you have any pictures of the system?
    Where did you get it and how much?
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The unit is available from your dealer.
    Here are a couple pics.....
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use the Bac-Vac system. I love the fact that you don't have to get off the mower to dump it.
  5. captken

The Bac-Vac is a great system, no doupt about it. I like the compact vertical profile.

However, I have some customers that don't have compost heaps.

Bagging and placement of the bags by the curb is my only option as I don't like the leaf trailer/tarp arrangement nor do I have a leaf trailer set up with a vacuum shredder.

I am looking into using a spare tailer set up with a vacuum shredder next season.

In that scenerio, the 3 bagger represents a good choice.

If you are bagging with the hard shell Bac-Vac, you can dump from the seat.

You open the jaws on that clamshell and its dumping onto the ground period.

You are then faced with having to handle the material a second time to get it into bags.

Hustler gives us choices.

The 3 bagger has a higher capacity [cubic feet] than the Bac-Vac
    therefore holds more.

You raise the top, [stays up on gas filled struts] then slid the bags out onto the ground.

Bags stay rigid [when full] and remain upright.

Take a plastic can liner and place it over the mower bag
    [all the way to the ground]
    push the bag over and pull up
    [metlal handle is installed on the bottom of the bag]
    Quick and easy.

I use one garbage bag per mower bag.

I run my Hustler walkbehind [with the mulch plate installed] over the leaves to reduce the volume by a large factor.

If you mulch the leaves prior to bagging, you can vacuum up enough material to make the front end float [with castor weights installed]

Both systems use identical castor weights, blower assemblies and tubes.

You don't have to replace the stock bumper to install the mount for the catcher, as you do with the Bac-Vac.

Its not for everone, but it works for me.

Its also easy to uninstall too.

Come spring time, its coming off in favor of my Qwickchute.
  6. BLC3

BLC3 LawnSite Member

Can you tell me how much the three bag cost?
    And maybe where to get a quickchute and price.
  7. captken

Around 2k from my local Hustler dealer.

As for the Quickchute, PJ helped me with the information. I don't remember the price... Quickchute arrived pronto.

Could also be available through your local Hustler dealer.

Search this forum for the post with the link to the manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

If all else fails call PJ, he'll find it.