3 Bag collection for 757

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SproulsLawnCare, Nov 5, 2005.

1. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Does any JD owners have the 3 bag material collection system for their 757 or larger ZTR? I have been trying to get some information on them. I would like to get some pictures of the system and find out how they attach to the ZTR. The web sight hasn't been much help.

2. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I have it and the mounting system is weak, and allows the power flow unit and impeller housing to rub against the third blade virtually wearing off the bottom of the chute leading to the impeller which gets clogged pretty easily when doing leaves.
    Im going to reinforce mine for use next fall. The bagging unit is nice. Easy in and out bags.

Be careful.....full bags make the thing way heavy in the rear making wheelies easy.

Its even a little bias when loading the unit forwards on a trailer....you can feel the front end get light. Its a trip.

Personally I think its overpriced, and underengineered.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the 2 bag unit ofr my 757's but the blower is the same. If your blower is clogging on leaves its because the belt is too loose or your machine is not running enough rpms. I can bag wet leaves, wet grass and i have yet to clog it up. Does the three bag unit have a heavier weight kit for the front than the 2 bag unit? If not maybe you can order another weight bar to stack on the front to eliminate the wheelie syndrome?

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

the only time mine clogs is if I don't empty it when I should, the 3 stack of counter wieghts I have never "felt" light in the front, even with full wet grass and leaves, with dry leaves the bags are so light I don't even need the wieghts.
    I looked at the 3 bag system at my dealer and am kinda upset that I have the 2 bag, wish it was a 3 bagger, the mounting looked and seemed stronger and easier to me than my 2 bag system.
    the primary problem I have is leaf blow out, they have a baffle kit but its another 180 bucks, they failed to tell me about that until last week when I called them pitching a b!tch about its lack of clean up performance.
    Personal opinion is that should have came with the bagger kit or at least I should have been offered it when I bought the system in March instead of learning about it after losing time on my leaf clean ups.

5. stumper1620

where the rod goes on the anti scalp wheel is what hold it in place to prevent the blade interference, mine kept popping out, to fix that I drilled a hole thru the rod on its back side to stick a hair pin through, that holds everything in place.

6. Killswitch

Yeah and that rod bends easily too if you bang that housing off a tree or whatever. It just needs to be more heavy duty. The blade runs right there and any movement at all allows the bottom of the housing to wear which has already happened to mine which transends into poor collection of debris.

For what they charge for these units I shouldnt have to re engineer it, but at any rate am beefing it up.

7. stumper1620

I'm not sure if weaker may not be better, I don't think I want it too strong or something worse than a bent mounting rod may break if bumped into something. I just get POed about how far it sticks out and how low to the ground it is, scrapes on my trailer everytime I load or unload even when the deck is set all the way up with my foot firmly planted on the lift pedal

8. Killswitch

Oh and that stoopid pressure deal on the chute thats supposed to warn you when its full doesnt perform either, not that I would expect it too and it seemed silly to me from the get go.

For me its a must have as I work alone and it does have its uses. I just wish it was better than it is. Its plainly obvious that baggers for these types of mowers are specialty items and just not built for the abuse these machines take daily. If they were more popular and used more by more people I bet they would engineer them better.

9. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

when I bought my mower (737 z-trac) the dealer said that the factory bagger did not perform well, so I got a peco bagger that you can dump from the seat and a seperate power unit ( 6hp Kohler). This is the bagger you need for this mower. It performs great, I still wish the factory bagger would have been better, This thing is not cheap either, $2400.00 but found mine on ebay for $800.00 only way I can afford one.

10. stumper1620

ya I looked at them, could'nt afford the 2400 at the time I needed it, so this is what I got, kinda wish I had done a couple more spring clean ups and bought the preco. very nice units. 800 what a deal!!