1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3 foot gates

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LushGreenLawn, Jan 23, 2007.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How do you guys handle 3 foot gates? Right now I am using a residential (cub cadet) rear engine rider.

I am thinking about a walk behind. I know the 48" deck on my zero turn is actually 48" wide, and will not fit through a 4 ft gate. Is it the same with the walk behinds, or will a 36" walk behind fit through a gate?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

anything below 42" we use a 21 push mower. They get charged an additional 5 for the pita since we don't have a commercial mower shorter than 48. Although out of 18 or so accounts only 3 require the 21.

I was contemplating selling one of our 48s and downsizing but after thinking it out decided not to tackle smaller backyards. Of course we will quote them but it will be higher.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Most 36" units wil go through a 36" gate...we use mulch plates so nothing hanging over. Some gates are not 36" and that is why the 32" units like the stander are coming into the business. Eventually every yard is moving to a 36" gate in our area.
  4. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Stander 32" Hydro.
  5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

That is what I plan on doing.
  6. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

Here's what I use...kills two birds with one machine.
    48" cut and goes through all 36" gates.
  7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Lawntime- The z-wing looks pretty cool. How much did that cost you?
    I just bought a JD 717A, going to be awhile before I am in the market for another Z

I looked up the wright standers before I made the post. I don't want to pay
    5K for a 32"

Anybody have experience with Red Hawk Equipment? They are advertising a 32" WB in the Turf Magazine I just opened for under $1000.

Also, anyone have John Deere 32"? If so, do you like it, and what di you pay for it
  8. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

Around $5500.00
  9. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I have a redhawk 48" hydro and the only problem I have had is the paint has faded to a dark pink. I am in the process of painting it back to red. It is a pain but it will be worth it in the end.... In my opinion a good machine especially for use a small amount of the time (although I have used mine now for 2 seasons for most of my properties.) Good Luck
  10. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Redhawk mowers are good backup mowers but thats about it . Ive run one for 2 years now no major problems but they have a primitive belt drive system. Spend the extra money and get a used hydro or a quick 36 or 44. Trust me its much easier on your body to run a hydro.