3" High lifts for scags

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awagner9, Jun 7, 2008.

1. awagner9

awagner9 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW,Ohio

Anyone use these blades? Saw a post few weeks back about these 3" high lifts from JT Tomas. Guy used these on a scag and said it cut like a exmark. Any input

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I put a set of Oregon 91-628 3" Scag super high lifts on my Hustler. I used them for a week and went back with the standard lift. Too messy for me here in Florida. I have 6 brand new ones and three used for one week that are for a 61" cut that I would sell for $50, plus whatever Fedex ground would cost.

3. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

Keith, What do you mean "too messy". Were the blades causing alot of buildup under the deck or did they not give a clean cut? Just wondering, because I just ordered a set for my mower. I'm kind of experimenting with some different blades to see what works best in varying conditions for my accounts. Thanks, Razorblades.

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Two much air, blows the grass over between blades leaving a strip , to much blowout out the front.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I ended up wearing the yard ;) I generally use my Super Z for large, open mowing and use the Exmark for smaller stuff, due to it having a mulch kit. The problem is, the large open accounts where I use the Hustler are generally less than perfect when you get up on top of them. The grass tends to be thin, dry a lot of the time, and is almost always bahia. I bought the super hi-lifts in hopes to cut every single bahia stalk in one pass at a decent forward speed. While it did pretty good on the stalks, it also vacuumed up sand and dry bahia and I ended up with it all over me and anything in the vicinity. Imagine Pigpen from Charlie Brown on a mower.

I would imagine if you don't have to deal with sand it would not be a problem.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they are still cutting great. I have several sets of Scag blades but I keep resharpening the 3" wide high lifts from J-Thomas. I forgot now but I think they were only $10 a blade. The metal is not hardly as good as the OEM Scags but for 10 bucks I'm not complaining. They are working great for me on the Velocity deck in our type grasses. Some of the other posters are not in my area so there results may not be the same. I would say the other brands of 3" high lift would be as good. The metal nicks just a little easier than the Scags but the cut is crisper in my area. This is some very low quality turf and I'm still getting a very smooth cut. Other brands of ZTR's may not get the same results as the Turf Tiger with the Velocity deck. I know I don't need any more lift on the Exmark, it has plenty.

web 027.jpg

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

tacoma

I need to know why you are using the ultra high lift blades when you have been so happy with the original setup? What made you change, and can you give a detailed performance comparison between the two blades?
    Thanks

I like the Ultra High lifts on my Hustlers. I did not find I wore more grass, or that the blowout was unneccesarily bad. I found they cut much cleaner, but the downside was they took lots of horse power to run. Power that the Super Z did not have with it's hydro setup.

8. tacoma200

Just slightly crisper cut (noticeable by me but probably not the customer) especially with lawns that have a lot of weeds. Nothing more than that. When I first put them on you heard that airplane sound you get with the Exmark ultra cut. You can tell it's go a lot of lift. Nothing wrong with the old blade which were Scag. The metal on the Scag blades is better. No chips from cutting rough area's while the J-Thomas has a rougher edge after a few hours and needs to be ground out more when sharpening. I can blow off drive ways easier with the 3" also. Not a miracle blade but in bad turf a little extra lift can make a difference. I'm sure my turf conditions and yours are much different. No pure turf grass here, well a few newly constructed houses but after a few years they convert back to partial weeds from all the fields around blowing seed in. J-Thomas has a flat shipping rate so I just threw them in to try out while ordering some other stuff.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I almost got some of the ultra-highlifts when I first got the mower as the dealer was throwing in some extra blades. I have been afraid of screwing up with the nice grass distribution. Have you seen any negatives with the new blades as far as the grass distribution goes?

Most of what I have are highly manicured, so weeds are not a big deal.

Thanks for the info.

10. tacoma200

It is throwing clippings a little further with more force but well fanned out. Distribution hasn't been a problem. For $30 bucks I didn't see it as that big a risk, just thought I would try them and liked them. Does Scag make 3" high lifts? The metal on Scags blades is really good stuff. Here is what Scag says about high lifts "The High Lift Blades will create greater lift that may be needed in difficult cutting conditions. Additional deck cleaning may be required when using High Lift Blades."

I haven't had much deck cleaning but the conditions of mixed turf and moisture means I'm almost always workingin difficult conditons. I'm not saying they are the best blade for everyone but I noticed the crisper cut and seem to want to stay with them.