3 or 4 times/month?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEPSJay, Mar 30, 2006.

1. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

got a call to bid maintaince and fert for residential, gave quote of 160/month for mow, no ferts, based on 40 bucks week.... lady says it doesnt need mowing once a week, once every 10 days is plenty.....what do you do? do you a.) show up every 10 days and charge the 40 bucks quoted or b) show up and charge 50 bucks every ten days?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

It's up to you will see pay more my area is flooded with weekend landscapers.
  3. NEPSJay

can u please answer the question....what would you do?
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

turn down the job

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Is your schedule full will she pay more.
  6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

When I quote, I tell them specifically that my price is for WEEKLY mowing. If they say it doesn't need it, or they don't want it (or whatever excuse) cut every week, I tell them that bi-weekly is slightly higher. If it were $40 per week, then its $50-55 every two weeks (non fert yards) based on how high it grows. I cannot, and will not schedule for different days during the weeks. too hard to keep them straight if they go on 10 days, etc.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If people request it done no less then 10 days then do it!!!! They will find out in a hurry what there lawn looks like.

Don't spend any extra time on it though.
  8. NEPSJay

why not mow every 10 days for 50. you gross 150/month vs 160/ month w/ 40/cutx4?? only out 10 bucks? why not keep her?
  9. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

My schedule does not allow for 10 day mowings. But if I were you I would explain to the customer that you need to charge more for it because there will be an additional 3 days of growth that will take you longer to cut. Most of the time I find that you can usually convince them to get on a weekly schedule when they do the math. Other than that I would pass on the mowing account.