3 page contracts now going to 5

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my lawn mowing contracts are 3 pages long, but apparently, not long enough. people can't be trusted, so you need to cover every possible thing that they may try and pull. here is the scene: certain groups just can't be trusted. i do no work for "these" people, because everytime, without fail , that i have, there has been trouble. so, what did i do? i went against my better judgement, and took one of them on. she called because her grass was at least 1.5 ft high, hadn't been cut this season i don't think. i gave her a price of $75 FOR THE FIRST MOW, with a seasonal contract of weekly mowing @$35 per. great she said, she signed . i went and cut the cornfield by myself, after we were done for the day. i made it look perfect, edged, wacked the weeds in the cracks of the walkways, everything, it was perfect when i was done. the day before our next scheduled mow, i get the phonecall that i kinda expected, " hi, i want to cancel my service, i found someone to do it for $25, 3 times a month. this is a big savings for me, so just mail the bill." i now feel inclined to send her a bill for $150. she voided our agreement, if it were a one time cut, i would have charged $150. our agreement was on a seasonal weekly mowing contract. if i send a bill for $150, and she refuses to pay, how will it turn out in court?

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont have that covered after 3 pages of contract jibberish, you deserve to get burned. I only have a 1 page contract for commercial and have never gotten stiffed.

3. BrunswickMowing

BrunswickMowing LawnSite Member

Bobby, could you post your contract? Id be interested in reading.

4. REENO

REENO LawnSite Member

Dont Know What Will Go Down

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Your first mistake was charging her only 75 measly bucks in the first place. :dizzy:
    She hasn't had it cut all season, that's at least 4 cuts she missed in April and 5 cuts in May. So that's 9 cuts that she should have been paying for, instead you went in there like a typical lawnboy and said, "ok ma'am I'll cut all this grass for $75, and please throw in some oreo cookies too."
    Sorry, but us hillbillies in PA even know better than to give a first time cut away that is 1.5 high(your words) edge it, make it look perfect(your words again), for mere pennies.
    On edit: AND.. the only reason she hired you in the first place, was because the other 12 companies that showed up for the estimate either said they wouldn't touch that lawn, or they priced the job correctly and she didn't want to pay it. When you came bebopping in with your offer of cookies and $75 bucks, she said, "hallelujah, p.t. barnam did say there's a sucker born every minute."

6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you plan on putting on the additional 2 pages? Basically, a contract only needs to be long enough to cover all your bases. My commercial contract is 12 pages long, residential is 1 1/2 pages long. If she SIGNED THE CONTRACT don't you have some recourse? I would certainly remind her that she is under contract.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

thanks major tom, but i don't take advice from business owners who have to work sun up till sundown, 6 days a week, to make it happen. in other words, i don't take advice from those who are failing. i thought $75 was fine for the first cut, which took me slightly over an hour. the lawn is perfectly positioned along my route, and would have been $35 for about 20 min worth of work, after the initial cut. BC, you cannot possibly cover everything that needs to be covered in a one page contract. i can't cover everything, in a 3 page contract. how about posting your panzy azz one page contract, and i'll tear it apart, and show you about 1000 ways a new jersey homeowner can get over on you with your one page contract

8. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

You should know better by now, you've be in the business long enough. :)

9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

The problem is that they see you coming from a mile away. I have quality customers :p

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just learn from it bobby and move on...life is too short to get your pants up in a wad for 75 bucks. I've left bigger tips btw...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.