3 plastic dog toys got sprayed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 2, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Earlier this week, we sprayed a tiny $24 lawn (1200 s/f front + 400 s/f rear).

So after two days of constant rain, the customer finally called in today to complain that we got spray on these 3 plastic toys (four days ago).

(I overheard the conversation on speaker phone).

1) She said they were both home while "they watched the applicator" apply.

2) She said we sprayed her 3 plastic dog toys while they were eating lunch inside their house.

Here's what my wife said:

1) "If you saw us on your property, why would you let him treat if you were concerned?"

2) "Did you actually see the applicator spray the toys or did he spray around them"?

3) "If you saw us spraying, why did you not pick up the toys"?

The "lady" had no answers to these questions..... she just wanted to interrupt my wife several times and repeated the same thing over & over & over.

Then my wife asked, "Why wait 4 days to call & complain?" "Two days of rain...wouldn't the plastic toys be rinsed off by now?"

Answer: "This was the first chance I had to call". :hammerhead:

Prob is...........these folks are retired. Have no job. Plenty of time on their hands, and they're always home.

We will make them a "call ahead" from now on, so they can clean their lawn of debri. Too bad, cuz this expense will be passed on to the rest of our customers who actually work for a living. If they cause a prob again ------- THEY'RE ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK.

What's your guys' take on this? thanks, rscvp :confused:

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Your guy should have moved the three toys. I would rather pick up a few toys than make them a call ahead.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Why would you spray the toys? I agree that the customer was wrong also, but i would NEVER spray any dog toys. You should know better.

4. Maple Wood

Maple Wood LawnSite Senior Member

As you well know, we must have thick skin in this bis. Still wants to get to me sometimes. I would not wory about the dog toys unless they keep raising a fuss about it. I agree that you should put them on the chopping block. Life is to short for jerks!

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Your applicator should have moved the toys. They should have called immediately if they were only eating lunch and watching your guy spray the toys.

I'll one up you though. I did an application on August 30. Customer calls to complain on October 1 to complain that her lawn is brown and it happened 3 days after the last application and that we need to fix the lawn.

Why wait 4 weeks if the problem happened 3 days later? When we could have fixed the problem with minimal effort.

I looked at it she HAD brown patch, nothing to do now but seed.

She does not believe it was brown patch because "it isnt just patches" it is "big areas" "it was the fertilizer application"

I sigh, explain why it is a fungus and how it is not my fault. She does believe it and wants to cancel because I dont know what I am talking about.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I would have moved the toys not sprayed over them, If by chance accidently sprayed, those toys would have been taken and replaced.

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

a few questions I have though also... How was the tone of the call? What type of resolution were they looking for? Did they request to be a call ahead?

Mabye she was just making you aware so that it did not happen again. I've gotten those calls...Mr. Sinclair, just wanted to let you know the back gate was open when you left, or, you missed blowing the sidewalk in the back. Most of the time people just want you to be aware for next time.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto with all. If I were spraying, I would have normally picked up the items & thrown them into the bushes, on the deck, in the woods, etc. or whatever.

My prob with this customer .. (if they truly cared), why wait four days to complain? (especially after two days of rain on their plastic toys that they leave out all the time). Seems these plastic toys are a pride possession. :confused:

If they were sitting at their lunch table while watching.....why did THEY not do something about it"? They could have said, "Hey wait a few minutes while I tie up your time". It's a 2000 s/f lawn for God's sake. :hammerhead:

That being said, I agree that it was our fault. On the other hand, I take care of my personal property .. (2 acres), so why don't these people ("who don't work") have time enough to keep their property clean? I work 60 hours a week, yet my "2 acres" is always cared for>>>>GO FIGURE. :hammerhead:

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Americanlawn, just due your best to let this crap go, we all have customers like this it is not worth it to let it eat you.

10. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

While I am not promoting spraying the toys, nor am I saying it is a hundred % safe, and it does take time to explain things to customers, here is what I now tell people that get concerned. Most chemicals we use on lawns, beds, etc. are mixed at a rate of an ounce or two per gallon which is sprayed over 1000k sq ft. Yes, the chemicals are highly concentrated and are meant to kill living plants/weeds which they are engineered for, but the actual amount on those dog toys is probably so little and microscopic that the dogs won't even be bothered and most likely have gotten into far worse and dangerous things that are always around the home. Most who are licensed applicators should know this anyway, that most of these chemicals we use, in amounts like on the dog toys, are not even close to being toxic or an issue of overexposure to humans or pets.