1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3 point hitch sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scarlawnturf, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Scarlawnturf

Scarlawnturf LawnSite Member

Need some advise. Looking for a nice 3 point sprayer to put behind a compact tractor. Will be primarily spraying larger properties (2 to 3 acres) and athletic fields. Thinking about a 50 gallon setup?? Fimco seems cheap, but are they ok? I've also looked at Crop Care sprayers. They seem nice. What type roller pump should I look at? Will be spraying organics and broadleaf control. (yes, I'm licensed) Thanks.
  2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Check this thread out from earlier this summer.
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Demco sprayer with a hypro 6 spline pto pump.
  4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Scarlawnturf

Scarlawnturf LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I'll let you all know what I come up with.
  6. Rhett@Gregson-Clark

Rhett@Gregson-Clark Sponsor

We make an 85 gallon 3-point hitch sprayer (please see link below). Accessories are available including a foam marker, hose reel and electronic controls. If you call our office we discuss the best pump, boom and nozzle options for your needs. Thanks.

Rhett Clark
    Gregson-Clark Spraying Equipment

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Fimco's are alright for non-alkaline based herbicides with in-frequent use.
    The stock seals are prone to degrading rapidly, particularly at higher flow rates.
    They do make a 3 point with better seals and a roller pump but these are typically a order item as most ag stores won't carry the better set-up.
    Bear in mind that the pump type and seal composition, as well as boom arrangement is often what differentiates a less expensive sprayer set-up.
    Save your self the headache and purchase a 3 point already configured with a remote hose reel and at least 200' of half inch line and a spray gun as well as the boom set-up.
    You may not be able to back into a smaller area and the hose reel comes in handy for tree/landscape spraying as well.

Currently I have a skid sprayer set-up but am looking for a self contained ride on sprayer of at least 200 gallons, the same type of set-up you see on golf courses.
    Not only are my properties maintained increasing in size I am being asked to spray multiple acreage estates above 10 acres in size. And there is no way to skid spray properties like this.

I checked into 50/75/and 100 gallon 3 point set-ups to go on my tractor but I didn't like the compaction issue and weight essentially behind the drive tires. I'm thinking of stability as well as maneuverability.

Surprisingly I have found 200-300 gallon ride on units used, in good condition for less than $5K with basic controls. I do not like the Raven type controls and flow meters associated with the more computerized set-ups as I have experienced nothing but continued solenoid problems with the high-tech approach. Besides, I calibrate at least once per month so I don't expect problems with the manual valve set-ups anyways.
  8. tmanmi

tmanmi LawnSite Member