3 point turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fvstringpicker, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Could someone tell me how to do a 3 point turn I've heard about. I did a search and found a lot of references to 3 point turns, but no clear information on how to perform it.
  2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at this, call it a "Y" turn. You go up and start your turn in the direction of the "BLUE" arrow. Once stopped you start reversing in the direction of the "RED" arrow. Then you proceed out in the direction of the "PURPLE" arrow and your gowing down the next stripe.

Never just do a turn while sitting still.

mower turning arrows.jpg
  3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the pic!

I thought I knew what a 3-point turn was..

Your picture corrected and clarified it in my mind.. Thanks!

Gary - Divot-free in 2003. <G>
  4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

That's a great diagram of a 3 point turn Mac.
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Never just do a turn while sitting still.

Best words of advice for the newbies, keep them wheels moving or the lawn will have brown (dirt) spots at the end of your stripes.

Bob R
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

thats actually compliments of Kirbyslawn (Ray). I just dug it up for yall. Just giving credit where its due.
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well thank you both for that great picture.....very helpful....I still dont like my turning and striping...maybe this will help. Hoss will laugh when he reads this.By the way....I have tried many times to do the striping look "through" a tree...yeah I know, make the turns to the area not mowed yet...well I did that and it doesn't look like the pics you guys show here....just more proof I am indeed commercial mower stupid....and my mower is not exactly new...lol
  8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

This could be a really good post.

Any other "ideas" on turning?

I've found something that works pretty good with belt drive w/b's

Instead of going up one way and back down the next strip, skip to the next back strip, making the turn longer. It takes a little while to get the right sequence down, and it seems to make the stripes more defined. I havn't really stoped to figure if it is a time saver but it does take a lot of stress off the old hands.

with the hydro I do basicaly a 3 point turn but I do lock the tires up for just a second. Not enough to cause any damage. Hit the left break let off go about a foot reverse hit the right break then switch to the right break and go forward at the same time. After some practice you can make the turn with your eyes closed and en up perfectly in line for the next pass. Plus most of the time you only have to make 1 intital pass around the perimeter, but I usually do 2 just out of habit.

anybody else have any neat tricks
  9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have found the problem with turning is doing it while the front wheels are going (pointed) forward. I do the blue arrow turn, but while reversing (now the front tires are going backward), I back up a little and then spin into place to make the next pass.

There seems to be less resistance on the drive wheels when the mower is reversing and the front tires are pointed backward before doing a partial zero spin.
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

When I make my outside stripes, I sometimes go around once, then 2 times even maybe 3 times, basically I mix it up to where I'm not turning in the same spot.