1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3 Pt. Aerator attach

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by FINN, Oct 18, 2005.

1. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I just purchased a coompact tractor and a 60 Woods 3 pt. Aerator. I have added about 450 lbs (cinder blocks) and still fell like its not pulling decent cores. The unit weighs 450 lbs with out weight. I have good soil moisture.

What are you guys using for added weight with your 3 pt. aerators?
  2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

how much do you estimate a cinder block weighing? 8x8x16 or 4x8x16 solid?
    we built a angle iron rack to mount tractor suitcase weights on and ran a threaded rod thought them to keep still. I at 105lb a weight I can add up to ten. I usually run 6 weights. I have a 72 inch frontier brand plugger. It is made by woods and is exactly like a woods. My areator should be very similar to yours. I will try and take a picture of it and post but be patient. I am cutting soybeans now and hauling them 150 miles in the morning and cutting till after dark so my time is constricted somewhat but I will do what I can.
  3. FINN

from PA.

I appreciate your reply. I weighed the block and got an average of about 38 lbs. You are correct in that Frontier is made by woods. I would be very interested in seeing a picture of how you set yours up with the weights.

Thanks, Finn
  4. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

I was just curious, how much did the aerater run, 60", is it a plug type?
  5. FINN

from PA.

60" Core Plug Aerator $1950.00 Not having to walk it.........Priceless
  6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Finn, i have the same aerator, you need to load her up with 800 to 1000 lbs if you want the 4 inch cores.
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a millcreek 630 60" aerator. With the weight I have on it is close to 1100 lbs. pulls a nice 3 in plug in this maryland clay.
  8. FINN

from PA.

I hear what you guys are saying. Add more weight. So what are you using to add this much weight , without it being to bulky? I'm looking for ideas.
  9. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

i will post pictures tomorrow of our attachment
  10. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a 72" core aerator with four 240 lb cast weights. Total weight is around 1300 lbs. I build forms out of 1 x 12 pine boards and poured them full of concrete. I placed loops bent out of #4 rebar in the concrete as it setup to act as a lifting point. After a couple of days, I broke away the forms and lifted the weights onto the aerator frame. This setup works great in carolina clay.