3 PT Finish mowers

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Weedburner, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

Anyone have experience with differant brands of 3 PT finish mowers? Looking to buy a 6 foot this winter to mow around my farm buildings. They run all over the map in price.

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of a "PT finish mower", what is it ... I mean I know what a finish mower is, however, the term "PT" is not familiar ot me !!

3. Weedburner

3 pt is for 3 point hitch. Fits on the rear 3 point hitch arms of a small tractor. I have a rough mower for bush hogging. Looking for one that is basically a mower deck carried on the hitch driven by the power take off from the tractor.

4. Someone on here that is in Indy had one advertised, I think it was a six foot landpride.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

If you want a machine thats going to last, buy the landpride. Tractor attachments run from dirt cheap to big bucks. Landpride is on the higher end, but you will get a well built, durable machine. I run landpride rakes & rotary cutters in my business, they hold up well & last for years!

6. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

Agree....look for a Landpride or Woods brand attachment. I know you can buy less expensive at your local Tractor Supply, but you get what you pay for!

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the explanation ... it makes sense now !!

8. carb454

carb454 LawnSite Member

Weedburner, Since you mentioned it will be for your own use around the farm... I wouldn't be afraid to recommend Kingkutter, Although it may not be as stout as woods ,landpride or befco. One thing I like about it is the large drive pulley for lots of contact surface (helps to eliminate belt slippage) and the blade pulleys have 180* of surface contact... I wouldn't mind owning a woods for sure but my "OLD kingkutter" 1991 model came with my Old tractor when I bought it and has been cutting my 5acres for ten years with one belt change ,three sets of blades and, two wheels and tire changes so I can't really complain in my case..It mows fine with the side discharge chute but it might winrow if the grass gets too high or heavy ...

But if it was for business use I would invest in something like the heavier duty woods...

9. Weedburner

My local woods dealer has a new 5 foot that has been on the lot a couple of years. I think he wants around $1500 for it. I need to measure to be sure the gage wheels don't hit the rear tires on my tractor.