1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3 quick questions

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Grass Busters Inc., Feb 25, 2005.

1. Grass Busters Inc.

Grass Busters Inc. LawnSite Member

* I did a search and could not find what I was looking for so,,,

1. Are most commercial accounts XXX $ per cut OR XXX $$ per year.

2. What kind of $ per hour should you be looking to gross on a two man crew (with the right equipment ) cutting grass at a commercial account.
    I have no idea, $60 $ 70 ???

3. When you summit a bid, do you list the cost of, grass cutting, bush trimming, flower planting all individual or just say, this is the cost for every thing for the year. :)

I know this is a very hard question to answer due to the amount of variables but I need something to start by. I will learn the rest as I go but I just don't want to low ball the accounts till then.

* If you can help me on any of the following question please do so. any and all help is appreciated

Thank you,
    - Eric
  2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Question #1:
    You could do it either way, I do mine per cut rather than per year because the number of mowing weeks could vary year to year, however some commercial clients want to see the yearly breakdown not a weekly breakdown.

Question #2:
    This number depends on you, what do you need to gross in order to make a profit?
    This number will vary for everone. You need to factor in such things as insurance, equipment costs, maintenance, fuel, labor rate for your employees, workmans comp etc.

Question #3
    I personally break everything down into individual items. (Lawn Maintenance, Pruning, Fertilizing, Weed Control and Sprinkler Maintenance) I also let them know that additional items can be performed on a time and materials basis.

Hope this helps some.