1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3 Rock Bubbler

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JimLewis, Nov 24, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

you do very nice work ... whats the deepest pond you have dug for a customers home ??
  3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of sound are you getting from that bubbler? I assume that is an Aquascape stone setup from what it looks like. Did you put an autofill valve on it? My biggest problem has been evaporation. The whole project looks very nice.
  4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

good work.. i have been wanting to do a stone fountain of some sort.., but have been getting the typical "pot" fountain.

5. JimLewis

You get a decent amount of sound out of it. A nice splashing sound. You can hear it from the master bedroom or anywhere on the back patio. But it's not loud.

I don't use Aquascape stuff. I like their ideas. But they are way too expensive. So I find much less expensive ways to do the same things they demonstrate. For 3-rock bubblers like this, we just dig a dome shaped hole maybe 2' deep and 8'-10' wide and place the pump and flex PVC at the bottom. Then with the flex PVC hanging out, we fill up the dome with large river rock. That creates the hidden reservoir for the water. You don't need a huge water reservoir because it's not a waterfall. We don't quite fill the reservoir up all the way. We stop about 4" from the top. At that point, we split the Flex PVC into 3 runs. On each run, we install a ball valve. Then we place the 3 column rocks and attach the 1 run of flex pvc to each column rock. Then we install the final 4" of river rock. The valves are white with red handles and they are right behind each column so if you need to adjust the flow on each bubbler, you can just dig up a little of the river rock and do it.

Yes, there is an autofill valve attached to the irrigation system mainline. A hudson valve connected to the mainline via funny pipe.

These are really simple to do. 1 day job for 2 or 3 guys.
  6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I started the process of what needs to be done with core drilling the boulders etc. A local company can drill a 1" or so hole for $80 on a 18"-24" boulder. This way I have more flexiblity with different types of rock for design or customers taste.
  7. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

8. JimLewis

Yah, we use a similar product for our pondless waterfalls sometimes. But there's no need for it on a bubbler fountain. You don't need very much of a water reservoir on these.
  9. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

We used to do a lot of ponds, but now all we do is bubblers, and if you drill 'em yourself, you can make a mint. They look great and they go in really quickly.

leaf summer 04 005.jpg

leaf august04 001.jpg

leaf sept04 016.jpg
  10. Grubbworm

Grubbworm LawnSite Member

Do you core drill with a rented hammerdrill? Where can you buy a masonry bit that is 24" long and what diameter do you use?

Thanks for the info, as I have played with only a couple of these bubblers.