3 tires In 2 weeks

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by birddseedd, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Pierre2013

Pierre2013 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, that's what the guy selling tires told me. Mind you, I've done tens of thosands of miles with that bad idea.

Btw, if it wouldn't be a Michelin, I probably would have not done it. But Michelin are pretty tough tires when taken care of. Also, I should add that the vehicle in question is used for city driving only. Never go on highways.

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, michelins have the softest sidewall you can buy. Anything passed the threads is not fixable. The sidewall has no steel cords to hold your plug in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Pierre2013

Pierre2013 LawnSite Bronze Member

You are entirely correct in regards to sidewall description. Yet, like I said, I have driven tens of thousands of miles with it. I keep it on the rear wheel where it is easier on the tire and I'm only using this particular vehicle for the city where speed is much less than highway. I wouldn't go drive at 60+ mph with a tire in such condition. Most people do not divide their vehicles between city/highway driving like I do.

4. ExmarkBoy

ExmarkBoy LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I can't really compare to anyone. Had to replace one of the pneumatic caster tires on my Exmark. That's the only thing over the last year. For anyone in central indiana, Clark tire is really good for landscapers in a jam that need a tire. They stock a lot of the Carlisle stuff for mowers and stuff that you can't really find anywhere else (without special ordering it).

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

20 years ago, June of 1993 I had a personal best tire count of 6 tires. I caught so much grief. On the John Deere I've replaced all the tires on the power unit, the casters on the mower. Wednesday I had to replace a valve stem on the same John Deere mower on the steering axle.

I've been able to do the repairs on tires in house.

6. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

sounds painfull
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Tires were getting plugged before there were steel cords. They stayed in with no problems.

8. whiffyspark

Times have changed. It's not worth a chance
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

what would happen anyway?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. whiffyspark

The plug has nothing to hold onto. The plug would blow out eventually or you'll have a slow leak
    Posted via Mobile Device