3 tires In 2 weeks

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by birddseedd, Jun 28, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

now I'm starting to think this may all be a hoax to scare people into buying more tires.... because if the reason you cannot plug the side is that there are no belts on the side, then this is false, because there are just as many belts on the sidewalk as under the tread. the belts wrap around the entire tire down and around the bead. furthermore. how does the plug grab the belts? it does not wrap around or touch any belts. it glues to the inside of the tire on nice clean rubber.

the only way I can rationalize why people do not do it is that the sidewall flexes. and the plug flexed with it and that movement could cause it to be torn assunder. but then again... so does the tread and it does not happen when you plug the tread...

and frankly. what's the worse that could happen? starts leaking again?

I think its just companies wanting to sell more tires. same as their reccommendations on what tread level to trade up at... some tires are sold with about the level they say you need to change. seems kinda fishy to me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. goel

goel LawnSite Member

Do you trust your family's life on a sidewall plug? I sure don't want any goofs plugging sidewalls and putting my family at risk over a couple bucks for a tire.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. birddseedd

your family isn't really at risk. if the plug fails all that's going to do is Itl start slowly leaking. u just do not see how that will happen any different than a plug on the top.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly the problem. The sidewall flexes. Your thread area doesn't. It's not worth the risk of a blowout. It's not a "hoax" or anything.

I installed tires for 4 years. Sometimes more than 10-12 sets a day. I've seen it all
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. birddseedd

but the thread does flex. when it hits the ground it flattens out, leaves the ground and it curves again?

6. Sais13579

Sais13579 LawnSite Member

Not sure what type of truck you have but if you can buy your tires from town fair tire or some other big chain they typically have an option for about 15 bucks a tire that you can literally drive out of the parking lot, puncture it on a nail and they will either repair or replace it if necessary at no additional cost to you. Ask about the road hazard guarantee.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Road hazard means the tires will be prorated. Meaning depending on the corresponding percentage of tread left you will be reimbursed same percentage of tires price. $100 tire, 90% of the tread left you will get $90 towards the price of a new tire if the old tire can not be repaired.

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on where you buy the tires. Two places I worked at covered full cost
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. birddseedd

yea. full replacement here. these were tires I didn't buy new tho
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. nylesedwards

nylesedwards LawnSite Member

Discount tire is full replacement
    Posted via Mobile Device