1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3 way and newly seeded lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pistol, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

I recently aerated and slit-seeded a lawn - 6-7 days ago - new grass does not seem to be coming up yet, but some may be. A fresh batch of dandylion is coming up - lots! Can I spray a 3 way (Speedzone Southern) and not hurt my grass or grass seed. Bottle says 4th cutting, but i don't think much grass is up yet. Thanks
  2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

you might be ok, if you are spot treating only on a few small spots. But you'd probably be safer w/ Quicksilver
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

most seed will take 2+ weeks to show signs of life.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Wait--that new seed is probably about a quarter-inch high--very tender. Dandelions are easy to kill. Wait till about 4 weeks.
  5. atouchofnature

atouchofnature LawnSite Member

6. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Was this a renovation and if so was any of the old lawn saved? If you keep it adequately watered you will see a big difference one week from your original post. Like Riggle said dandelions are easy to kill - wait. Personally, I would hit it with fertilizer late next week, begin mowing as soon as possible, and spray for weeds 2nd or 3rd week of October. It is more important to improve the vigor and competitiveness of the new grass than to eliminate weeds. Spraying too early may stunt or kill the new grass. When you do begin to get rid of them you want the lawn to be able to fill in where the weeds had been.
  7. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Wait until new grass is mowed 4 times.
    Fall is the best time to control broadleafs and you have time.
    Getting the seed up and growing is more important than weed control at this time.