3-wheel-riders on hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Jul 18, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

how well do 3-wheel riders do on hills. I was just wondering cause there are like 3 for sale in this week's trade-in-times. One is a Scag, and Exmark, and a Bunton. They are all for like under
    $300 too. There is also an Encore 48" hydro for $1600 in there but it does not say what shape it is in. Surprisingly someone is selling their Lazer z. It's a 25hp Kaw 60" (2000) with like I think 200 hours on it. They said it was bought at $11000 and will sell for $8000. Thwey actually probably paid $8000 for it and are trying to screw someone.

2. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

My old 3 wheel scag did surprisingly well on hills provided I was willing to give it some "body english" by shifting my weight around. And I have plenty of it to shift, too but that's beside the poing. (shut up!! :mad: )

Also, the scag lifts its deck with a crank and cable affair. If you take the slack out of the cable, you can give a very slight lift to the deck and it makes an amazing difference.

ZTRs are really popular because they are fast and manuevreable. That means that they make you money. But the 3 wheel design (actually 5 wheels if you count the front casters) really brings a lot to the party. Many of my guys really prefer the old scag to the ZTRs and I have to admit, that each has it's ups and downs. The old scag is way better at mowing close to trees, objects and such and really cuts down on trimmer time. In some yards it's enough to compensate for the slower speed.

This will get a lot of arguement from the ZTR fans, but the quality cut of a scag 3 wheeler is just absolutely superb!!

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Mowerdude, I got a Scag 3 wheeler to fix up and rebuild, I'm going to try one today at EXPO but I wanna see how it cuts and stripes, could you send a couple pics in maybe please? I'm trying to figure out if I like it before I work on it :D
    Thanks
    Eric

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They dont climb worth the squat, unless you back up the hills. Sure, you can lift the deck just a bit, but they still want to slip easier than many other types of mowers. They are stable going DOWN hills, though.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have had 2, 61" Ferris and 2, 72" Ferris 3-wheelers. All of them did exceptionally well on slopes...side to side or up and down. The 61's had 23 hp kawis and the 72's had 25 hp kohlors.

Now, you're wondering why we don't have them anymore, right? Well, we got rid of the 61's after a while caused we needed more production. We moved to the Ferris 72"s, but had to drop them after about 2 years because of design flaws in the mower decks. They would shake themself apart and there were problems in discharging the cuttings.

I loved the 61's (just weren't big enough) and would have kept the 72's if they would have held up.

BTW, we moved on to 72" Toro Groundsmasters.

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the Scag its the only one with a pump and 2 wheel motors. For 300 if it runs Good Deal. I have a 1999 STHM.