3 wheeled riders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CMLLawnServices, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Just wondering about those 3 wheeled riders with the outfront decks, i know were i can get 2 really cheap that all run and cut good , they are both gravely`s with a 21 hp kholer on both one is shaft drive 2 the mower the other belt. one is hydrostatic the other a series of "clutches" with a "high low" range. the owner of a local stihl/gravley dealer got them in on trade and he cuts his own grass with them rite now. my dad is best freinds with him and he said he`d sell one or 2 of them 2 me for cheap. i`d only get one and useit for rough cutting ,ect. i have my ztr to trim with so that is not a concern. i have been told that the back wheel leaves a streak but i have been making a striping roller that would cover it up. has anybody had any thing good or bad to say about them. this is just a thought and they r cheap so just wondering , i`ll probably end up with a used kubota fronmount.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate that streak from the back wheel. It looks UN professional.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer has 2 of the Yazoo/Kees 3 wheelers. How about those?

4. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I started with one of my first riders being an Exmark Turfranger and I loved it. It was slower than my ZTR's but I honestly think that it cut nicer. I was not fond of the three tire tracks either but I think the cut was smoother and the stripes are more defined with the three wheels. I belive that it was a better cutting machine for leaves as well.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Thankfully I don't have that striping problem so many others have. We don't have to worry about stripes in warm season grasses much.

I like the 3 wheel riders. In the right conditions they would be great. I have seen many with unbelievable hours on them. If I run across a good deal on one at some point I would consider it.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I only checked the hour meter on one of them. I believe it had 600 and some hours. They are long and bulky looking. But I guess they aren't muck longer than a walkbehind and sulky. My thoughts are what are the advantages/disadvantages compairing 3 wheel to a WB & sulky?

I thought about the rear tire mark and I do wonder if it would still show through if a stripping kit were added? Seems it would still show some.

Another thought is my Gravely dealer has a ton of the 310's he has traded for. I've seen one place that's mowed with one that has the dual rear wheel. It leaves a unique stripe with many defined lines in it. Not bad looking.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3-wheelers were made popular by Scag. Pretty sure they still make them too. Friend of mine has one with almost 8,000 hours on it and it's the original engine (Kohler I think).

I've had Ferris 3 wheelers in the past (61" and 72"). Best thing I liked about them was their ability to go under tree limbs and bushes. Thought they striped fine IMO.

Only downfall with the 3-wheelers is how you sit right over that rear tire. Hit a bump or drive it over a hole and you feel it all the way up your spine:cry: :cry: :cry:

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Envy, you're right they are long, but they are also quite stable on hills. Probably more stable than a Z and about the same as a W/b and sulky but it's a dedicated rider. I'm betting you won't lose much productivity than with a Z on wide open areas because as fast as a 3 wheeler goes, you probably wouldnt' be able to mow much if any faster than that with a Z since they usually have the same decks, blade speed, etc. I almost kinda halfway think that third wheel mark looks neat but wouldn't want it on my lawns, it's just different. A Z is more compact and maneuverable but with alot of hills or trees my pick is the 3 wheeler. Also you have a wheel to steer with instead of wheel rotation so that it's about impossible to leave a divot when turning. You can also lift the deck up to add traction, maintenance, etc. That makes it nice too. It's balanced so that if you want to work on the back end you can crank up the deck and put a couple bricks on it and the back end is suspended. Well these features are found on the Scag but others are similar. A friend has a 60" eXmark Turf Ranger and loves it.
    Eric

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Wanna bet?

10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

My problem with them is length, they just take up too much room on the trailer. If you are set up for them, and it is a good deal, go ahead and get them.