3 year Fastrak mis-firing

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Rog, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Rog

Rog LawnSite Member

My Fastrak has a 18 horse Honda Engine (GXV610 - QAF - GJAC-2006616). It started a couple of weeks ago mis-firing (the right-side) when cold but would clear up as the engine warmed. Now it mis-fires all the time on the right cylinder. I changed the plugs and checked the compression (90psi). Still does not fire on that cylinder. I'm guessing this is a coil problem since I've dis-connected the engine shutoff diode from both coils and the good side still fires and the bad side does not. I'm guessing this is a very uncommon problem since no one in Tulsa, Ok. carries a replacement coil for this engine. Is there any other thing that anyone can think of that I might be missing? If not I'll being ordering a new coil. - thanks for your inputs

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I never hear of coil problems with the Honda engine.....
    The biggest thing I hear of is a plugged carb vent line with dirt dobbers, double check that for the heck of it.
    But it sounds like you have it pretty narrowed down.

Pj

3. Rog

Rog LawnSite Member

Pretty sure I'm getting fuel to the cylinder since it is black with carbon. However, I know I'm not getting any fire to the cylinder. I just wanted to double check to see if anything else could cause the lack of fire to the cylinder other than the coil before purchasing a new one. - thanks

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Let us know how you make out.

Pj

5. Winsurfer76

Winsurfer76 LawnSite Member

How did it turn out? My 20HP honda is starting to do the same thing.:confused: The left cylinder is missing and popping under load. I've replaced the plugs, but that didn't help for long. The plug is sooty, but not wet when I pull it out. Would a valve adjustment help?

6. Rog

Rog LawnSite Member

A new coil resolved my problem. I would check the compression on the mis-firing cylinder on your unit before replacing the coil. You might double-check the fly-wheel to coil air gap as well. You should be able to remove your plugs-wires and reconnect the plug wires to the plugs making sure they are grounded good while turning over the engine. You should see the plug(s) firing. Dim your lighting for greater visibility.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is a vent line on your carburetor that needs to be checked to make sure there is no dirt or debris in it, plugging it and preventing the carb from venting, this will make your motor run rich, and foul plugs.

8. Rog

Rog LawnSite Member

Yes, ...if one has verified that both plugs are firing properly look elsewhere.

9. Winsurfer76

Winsurfer76 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it's the vent that's plugged. Here in Louisiana, the mud dobbers try the make a nest in anything. If not, I'll check the things Rod mentioned.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

That is exactly what I am referring to.