3 Year old Tall Fescue Blend?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Talon1189, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

I am going to plant a new lawn from seed and the grass seed is a Tall fescue blend (Eviro-Shade) The seed is a mixture of Tall fescues and Creeping fescue. The seed is 3 years old and has been kept indoors and just opened. I am testing a small amount and it appears to be germinating and growing OK in my test. I read grass seed loses about 10% each year :confused: Should I go ahead and plant it......or buy new seed? Thanks! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the area you are planting in like, full sun, morning shade and afternoon sun, a mix of both, more shade than sun. honestly depending on how big your lawn is i would buy need seed and go with just tall fescue.
  3. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

I have morning shade, afternoon sun, then evening shade. I get 3-4 hours of sun. My soil is slightly alkaline due to the water. It is a clay loam soil. I have old Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue (real course) in my back yard and I do nothing to it but mow it only and it stays green year round. I am only re-doing my front lawn only and it used to be a Bluegrass sod lawn 15 years ago but it thinned over the last 12 years due to the lack of sunshine. I live in lower Michigan and want a great thick, dark green lawn that people will take a 2nd look at, and needs lower watering requirements. I do have a sprinkler system. I have a 3 year old bag of Enviro-Shade from www.seedland.com and it has Tall and Fine fescues in a blend that appear to be ideal. I payed $40.00 for 25 pounds for a 2,500 square feet that will be planted. I am also open to other suggestions :) Thanks! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
  4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I'd use it. At 10 lbs per thousand, you should still have enough viable seed for an adequate overseeding. Why didn't you plant it in the fall?
  5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

use it....:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

use it i'd go 12lbs per 1k just to be safe.