3 Zones Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Robert100, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Robert100

Robert100 LawnSite Member

I moved into my house a short while ago. When I moved in, the 3 zones of sprinklers in the front yard worked, and one of the three in the back worked. After a short while, the one in the back yard stopped working as well.

I have since rewired the sprinklers, thinking that would solve the problem but it didn't. The 3 in the back yard still don't work. I tried turning them on manually but they won't come on. I'm wondering what could possibly be the problem. I assume the main line is connected properly because the one zone worked for a short period of time.

Does anyone have a clue on how I can fix this on my own?

Thanks,
    Robert

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

3. Is your water coming from N. CA? If so I'm philosophically unable to help you but I do wish you well.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

He actually ran out of water thanks to you damming that spring upstream here in FOCO at your new place.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ignore the riff-raff, they actually sell shoes but are groupies. What brand controller and valves do you have?

6. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

if it worked before and you dont have a broke pipe it is either clock, wire or valve.
    Assuming you can program the clock properly-

The old switch-aroo

To test clock lets say zone 1 front yard works but zone 5 backyard doesnt. Is it the output on the controler or is the module is bad. Take the zone you know works 1 front yard and wire it into the zone 5 backyard. Take the zone 5 that isnt working and put it in zone 1. Does zone 1 still fire off and when it does it is effectivly firing off the zone 5 out back?

Will zone 5 fire off and run the front yard. then it is controler because you then determined both valves are working so it is a supply issue.

Take apart valve make sure nothing is in it, bring a coffe cup to bail water so chit doesnt get in it. Do you have water, any heavy equipment, I once had a concrete truck crush a line so bad that water trickled. Also once the town was flushing hydrants and the psi dropped so much that it wouldnt push up the 6 heads on the zone but would get up the 4 head zones.

find the valves and determine which one is zone 5 disconect the common and zone wire from that valve or just cut the wires halfway up. Fire off zone 1 still connected to the backyard that isnt functioning, you know it has power from earlier, use a new valve solonoid and touch it to the wires if it clicks you got power to the valve if not you have a cut or corroded wire.

Good luck

8. Whooo you are my kinda guy HUMBLE. Keep the sig and join the fight.

9. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying that because of his political views or irrigation knowledge? I thought there was another forum for that.

10. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

no water at all 3 rear valves smells of a bad master valve.