30 cleanups to go and we get snow!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolgreen, Nov 26, 2007.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

Anyone else have this problem?

I have a bunch of fall cleanups left and we got close to a foot of snow the other night. Those cleanups are my November income, but it looks like more snow in he forecast.

This stuff has to melt so we can get back out there and finish the season off.

In my area, almost all snow plowing is done on a seasonal contract basis, so there is no extra money to be made there.
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

That sucks! This happend to us 2 and 3 years ago, the snow never melted off until April. We just did our last clean up's Sat. and the last 2 were covered in about an inch of snow.
  3. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ya it sucks when that happens, only thing you can do is wait and let it melt and go back out.

thats why we are running 7 days a week no days off rain or shine heavy wind ect , staright through till we are done with clean-ups, thats how i do it every fall , once there over , we get 2 1/2 months off, ( besides snow plowing ).
  4. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Still 30! We blow thru all of are cleanups no more on the books. Looks like you will have "plenty" to do in the spring. What is your average push, a year of snow?
  5. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

In N.Y. the leaves did a major drop last week.And if we dont have gale force winds its been raining.Looks like the money wont be coming in and the spring will be a nightmare.This is one tough business.If you have a decent day something brakes and all your customers want to know how come you didnt show,(like your god)
  6. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

everyone was happy today, did a clean-up in the rain, lovin it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

No snow here but lots of rain.
  8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys write up your contracts for standalone fall cleanups? We do a lot of contracted maintenance where we do everything ont hier property all season so those are easy we go back as many times as necessary (most likely 2-3 times) for leaves and perennial cutdown. But on the standalone jobs of fall cleanups how doy ou guys price? This year we did straight time and materials, we tell them it will likely take 2 visits on in October and one in late november. A few people have balked at two visits and I can see the only way to handle those people if they want it done last then they pay extra because we are likely to be dealing with packed leaves, but again straight time and materials because we never know what we are going to run into. We tell them $45 per man per hour, and we give them an estimate of time (say 6-10 total hours or whatever it might be), and let them know if they want to cap our hours they can do that and we will drop what we are doing if we hit that point, however, if they want things clean we can always finish the job but we would just have to let them know we hit their cap of hours and we would need their goahead to finish.

Any insights? I have only had a few pains in the butt, but I would like to have a contractt hat is fair for the customer as wella s fair to us getting the money we deserve. Last year we would bid a total $ amount for the whole cleanup, and we got burned way too often so we went to a time and materials because we cannot be held responsible for rain, snow, wind, etc etc etc. We just have to push through it and get the job done, but i was sick of losing money on cleanups when they are such hard work to begin with.
  9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Move to FL! :dancing::dancing::dancing:
  10. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Yah everyone come to Bellview, Fl. Man its great there the average guy is getting up to 200 a month for tiny little yards.

Im thinking heading up there myself from Tampa. We average only 65 a month here.

So everyone head to Bellview, Fl and maybe thier price per lawn per month will get down to the Tampa price.

I think Bellveiw is by Ocala all you norther guys wont even think you are in Florida.

Can you tell Im getting tired of all the Florida guys telling everyone how great it is here when it really isnt.
    I know some of you are kidding but gee wiz some people might even start thinking about it and next you know we have another billion lawn guys to the already 500 billion.....just had to vent after losing a few to a new start up terd....