30 day guarantee + ride-on

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Apr 1, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Just wondering if you guys think 30 days is a good enough warantee.:hammerhead: I admit they offer a one year warrantee if defective parts are found (and proven), but even that seems a little restrictive. (IMO). Their full warrantee = 30 days. :dizzy: The initials of the company are PG. These units are commonly found for sale on ebay (four on sale now for much less than retail price), but I very seldom see Z-Spray units for sale.:confused: Please keep in mind that we use PG units, and they have made us much money.

Going to MPLS next week to pick up a new prototype ride-on. They're aiming at a full two-year warranty --- no questions asked. What are your thoughts? rscvp, thanks:usflag:

2. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I look at these machines as somewhat disposable, what I mean is you make the money you spend on it back b4 it breaks in most cases, then if it breaks you fix it til you can't and buy another one, even with the ultra se models I had one that made me like 80 times what I paid for it and I replaced the briggs engine two times waiting for the magnum to come out. I know what your'e saying about the warranty it is really weak but I've seen guys put so many hours on them so fast and they take such a beating with the products we use I really wouldn't expect much of a warranty anyway.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

well... i have a ultra, bought it with 75hrs on it and it was in fair condition (maybe good for some). anyway i have put a new carb, spinner gear box, pump, belts, battery and gave up on the starter (all this was last year and it has 500hrs now). i bought a magnum with 100hrs on it and i need to say...... as much as i bashed the briggs engine... i think i owe them an apoligoy(sp).... this honda is cold blooded, wont return to idle for sh*t without stalling, and i'm not a fan with the clutch set up... maybe i'm wrong and i hope i get used to it... if not, i'm better off buying a used ultra and putting the money in that... granted i have not used it in the field yet (too wet), but i'll be out next week and hope it works itself it out!!! anyone else???

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing I know that works in a more corrosive environment than my PG is my plow truck!!!

5. EJK2352

oopppss double post

6. EJK2352

My Magnum is cold blooded too. Try tweaking the idle mixture screw on the carb. Mine needed to be a little richer, and it helped alot. I usually just leave it idle on the trailer between jobs when the temps are below 50 degrees.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks, i'll try the mixture screew. i love hondas, have them on everything 1000's of hours no problems, figures put one on a PG and all hell breaks loose!! lol

8. americanlawn

from midwest

Just found out tonight that one of our 2 Ultras has a bad engine. No good anymore after only 400 hours on it. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I had hoped that commercial lawn equipment would hold up longer. Heck -- we have ExMark mowers with over 2000 hours that still run like new. I just can't figure it out.:dizzy:

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What engine is on the Ultra?

I think the Honda will last a long time, but being around fert dust and poor conditions.....I'm sure its life is shortened a little!

I know the motor/pumps we use to pump our 28-0-0 don't last near as long as they should.

You know how corrosive fert is on everything!

10. americanlawn

from midwest

Not sure what motor the Ultra's came out with. Best guess is a Robins engine (made by Subaru). It sure ain't no Honda. BTW I still use the same Honda 8.0 engine on the tree/shrub side of my split tank that I bought in 1991. And that Honda still works like new. Go figure???