1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

30 h.p. AND 72" deck for $6900.00 - Brand New

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JTF40, Sep 21, 2006.

1. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Let me start by saying that I am not in the market for a new ZTR.

However, I was @ my local Redmax dealer having some warranty work done and he said "Hey, let me show you this." He took me to the basement of the building and there sat a 2006 Dixon Grizzly with a 30 h.p. Kohler and a 72", 7 guage deck. He has been selling Dixon mowers for 20+ years and he said he purchased it (among other mowers) from a dealer in Atlanta that is going out of business.

If I was in the market for a gas powered mower, I believe I would have to buy it. It IS a massive machine that comes with a 3 year machine and 2 year Kohler warranty. :usflag:
  2. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

what else he got on sale?
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a good price. I'm not that familair with the fine details of the dixon machines though.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea but the only problem is it's a DIXON, I would buy a LESCO b4 a Dixon
  5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

And why do you say that?

Do you have any EVIDENCE to support that opinion(which is your implication that Dixon AND Lesco are bad mowers)?

Or are you just spouting off what everyone else seems to think(that Dixon doesn't make decent commercial mowers)?
  6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I don't know about the new Grizzly, but around here they are pretty much known to be a bottom of the line mower. Mostle homeowners versions and a few commercial mowers that did not hold up in the past. Maybe they are better now but all I see are the homeownwer versions.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I know a guy here that has a 72" Dixon Grizzly, not sure on the power plant. He TRADED a Kubota 72" Diesel for it! He had many many problems with the Kubota and the warranty was out meaning he would have to fork out the big bucks to keep it running all the time. Talked to him and he LOVES the Dixon. This is not his first 72" Dixon, he has another older one too. He mows mainly city propertys. They get used and abused for sure.

By the way... Iv'e never owned a Dixie, Hustler, Scag, ect... So I'll just off the cuff label them as JUNK.

Any of you guys even remember what the big brand mowers looked like 15 years ago. They were a joke. Seats way high in the air, small tires, stamped decks, small fuel tanks, poor design at best. Guess what, thats the same age of dixons you think are JUNK. Just like all the other brands out there, they have came a long way. Just remember though. They were one of the FIRST.
  8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Label them however you want. I guess Dixons were a joke 15 yrs ago if they looked like that. I bought a Walker and a Grasshopper 15 yrs ago and both are running and still in use part time, in fact they have not changed much at all because they work. They were way ahead of Dixons then no doubt. The last time I heard anything locally about Dixons was they were junk. I was standing in line at the local lawn mower shop and a competitor with 2 commercial Dixons and both were broke down and he need parts and he made sure we all heard his rant about never buying another one. His words were much worse. Anyway I took his advice and have not ever looked back.
    Granted that was a few yrs back and times change, Cub, Lesco, Dixon have all come a long ways.....who knows maybe cows can fly too...:laugh:
    Sorry just messing with you....one of those days I guess.
  9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen broken down big name mowers at their respected shops also.
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Now why would I "spout off" what everyone else seems to think. I run mowers for a living, so apperently I must have some type of first hand experience.