1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

30 hp Kohler vs 26 hp Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by laird006, Feb 10, 2008.

1. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

Just as the title states, between the 30hp, 725cc Kohler and a 26hp liquid cooled 675cc Kawasaki, which would you choose and why.

Pros vs Cons of each.
  2. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

Ive got the 30hp kohlers and we love them. Theyve got about four hundred hours a peice and they are like new. The liquid cooled kaw is a good motor but you have a lot more moving and electrical parts. Think about it is outside where the weather is.
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Kaw. Why? More torque for the dollar.
  4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Kohler ....just had better luck with them and very easy to get parts. Seems I waited several times on parts for Kawi's may just have been the dealer .
  5. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Kawasaki, longer lifespan, and the kohler is a guzzler.
  6. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I would choose the kawi only because of the liquid cool engine will never know about heat translation longevity. The kohlers I have are the command 15 hp on my walk behinds I love them and I swear they can eat dirt they are alot less finigy than the kawi.
  7. Turfhead

Turfhead LawnSite Member

The Kohler Will Probly Be A Bit More Power But It Will Run Louder And Are Generally More Of A Pain In The Cold Weather. They Are Really Cold Natured. The Kawasaki Is A More Expensive Fix Usually, But Tend To Last Much Longer. Personally With My Experience The Kawasaki Engine Being Liquid Cooled Would Be My Choice. I Haven't Blown One Of These Up And I Have Had Trouble Out Of The Kohlers. Mostly Carberator.
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Kawasaki for itÂ’s life period.:waving:
  9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i would get the kaw. i know i know ya'll saying sawman picking the kaw????
    granted i dont like the air cooled kaw one bit. but those lc engines are one sweet running engine. and in this day and age were gas is over 3 usd a gallon, it will save you money. both are top notch power plants for any mower.
  10. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I like that 30hp kohler a lot, but I'd be leaning towards the 26hp kawasaki for the same reason as many others (liquid cooled). What machine and deck size will this be on? Also, as for the fuel consumption the 30hp is a bit thirstier but it reasonably efficient for the amount of power it produces given that it's not an EFI unit. According to some info I got from Kohler the 25, 27, and 30hp vertical engines all use 2.2 gph