30 hp Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, May 29, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am looking to buy, and the 30 hp Kohler has me excited, but also fearful. Being a new engine it scares me, but especially since I hear they will flood on hills or sharp turns. I don't want to end up in a retention pond! I also have read where they are very cold blooded, backfire alot and some other type problems. I talked to a mower rep who said the fix was several weeks away, but have read on here that guys already have received what was supposed to be a fix. Whats the real deal? I don't want to buy a lemon, or something that will be like the old 25 Kohler's with head gasket problems. Not that I will receive the definative answer here but any information would likely help.

Thanks

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You shouldn't have any problems with the head gaskets since the 30 is just a slightly stroked 28 and Kohler isn't having any problems with the head gaskets on that engine. The carb could be a different issue since it's an all new design 2 barrel. I have to wonder why Kohler chose to go with a carb instead of EFI on this new engine.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My eXmark dealer says he had Kohler Factory field reps out to fix several of his bigger clients' Lazers with that engine. Apparently it's an elbow in the carb or something? He wasn't totally sure what the fix was, just that the mowers that had this fix done were like a totally new mower!

Today's engines are getting leaner and leaner to meet emissions. With this being a "new" engine, I'm sure they had it meet stricter EPA mandates so it will last a while before a re-cert.

In addition to a longer stroke, this engine runs 9.5:1 compression ratio (.5 higher than the other engines in this family) Higher compression will lead to a colder blooded feel.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did the field test in Turf Magazine for the Hustler Super Z with the 60" XR7 deck and the Kohler 30hp engine. I didn't experience any of the problems you're talking about with it. However, since that test I've purchased a new machine for myself which happens to be a 60" Super Z but I got the Kohler 28EFI with mine. Having driven both machines over the same properties I have to say that the 28 has more guts and definately uses less gas. My opinion is just that, an opinion. I haven't done any scientific tests or comparisons, these are just my gut feelings but I would suggest to you that you demo both and see for yourself.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Ed, I've heard many times that the EFI's "feel" stronger. More responsive to load and all that.

But, at almost $1000 more, is it worth it?

The 22cc displacement difference is substaintial, as is 2.3lb/ft of torque.

From what I'm hearing, this new "fix" for the 30 unleashes power and makes it a whole new machine.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

TLS,
    You've got to compare them side by side like I did to really appreciate the differences. The price difference on Hustler Super Z's is about $450, a number that, I'm sure, will be paid back to me through fuel saving's over the life of the mower.

7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I was told that Osha had to approve the carb modification and it may be several weeks before they had the fix. I wonder if this fix is a new fix, or if it is the result of some field modification work that you fellas are seeing. I thought it was a casting issue where the fuel was rocking up and out of where it should be causing a flooding issue. Maybe there is more then one problem with the unit.

My dealer, and other local dealers fear the EFI. They shy everyone away from them. My concern is what happens if I do have a problem? If these guys are scared to work on them, whether they are hard to work on or not, I could have problems.

Thanks for the comments guys, other thoughts are welcome.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

how complicated can efi on a mower engine be?

9. Shady Brook

from Indiana

LawnboyDan

I agree. They fear using a computer for some reason. I would imagine soon everything will be efi and they will be forced to be familiar with it.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The difference is $950 between the 30hp and 28hp EFI Kohlers on a Hustler.

I have no doubt youd make that money up in fuel savings, but...