30 Kohler...gutless swine, or engine problem?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Shady Brook, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I watched one of my guys try to drive up a steep slope with the Humbolt tripple bagger and the operative word was "try". He did not make it. He tried several times but had to back down, or disengage the blades to make the hill. Now this is a steep hill, but I have taken several mower brands up the hill with very little loss of rpm's. When taking the Super Z's up with the 27 and 30Kohlers the rpm's drop way down and so does the speed but I can always make it up and still have a good cut. With the bagger on.....no way.

Am I asking to much of a "30" hp motor, or do I have a problem with this engine? I think we need to see a 32hp Briggs on the Super Z's if you plan to do any type of hill work.

Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't recall if you had your engine updated or if yours was one of the ones that didn't need it.
    Regardless the 30hp engine when running correctly is a great and powerful engine.
    Talk to the guys in the service department at Rigg's and have them look into the update on your engine.

Pj

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks PJ

The mower engine was updated almost as soon as I purchased it a year ago. I am not sure what else could be going on.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The wheel motors are no good for hills on the Super Z. You will burn them up. Been there done that, 3 times in 900 hours. I switched my Super Z over to the ATZ wheel motors. More torque, big differance.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Please contact Rigg's and let them know what is going on, they will take care of you.

Pj

6. diagnostech

diagnostech LawnSite Member

My 30hp kohler also lost power on hills, UNTILL we had new air cleaner elbow kit #24 054 19 installed, this moves carb vent higher eliminating flooding out.
    Due to flooding out , caused cylinder glaze, it used oil, 'til dealer, reringed it with new updated piston kit, now acceptable.

850 hours in one season!!! in Pa. GO HUSTLER TURF!!