30 plants

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rosolar, May 14, 2005.

1. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I have to plant 33 5-6ft tall abervities. the root ball is about 12in. in diamiter and 12in. deep.

Will an 18in. auger be ok, or should I use a 24in?

Does $30 per plant sound resonable? Total $990. The trees are already delivered and paid for. I will be renting a dingo w/ auger for $225. How long can I expect this to take? It will be me and one helper. The ground where I will be digging is flat and seems like it will be easy digging.
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it rocky or is there some other reason that digging is extremely difficult? I'm on the Cape, so digging is usually easy, but I used to 'scape around Boston and a shovel would be what I would use (unless I had a Dingo sittin' on a trailer). It is getting so that if there is no pull cord (hell, it is getting so no one will do that anymore either) or electric cord, no one is willing to do it.
  3. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Well I got the job done. 33 5ft aber. with a dingo w/ a 24 in. auger in 6hrs. w/ one helper.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Did you stake them?
  5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

are they going in a row for screening or hedge purposes. if so take a big rear tine tiller 18 inch wide an make two swipes making the bed 36 inches wide . till a few times until soil is powder. now install the arbs . its easy , quick an in 4 hours you'll be done with check in hand . i just finished a hedge job that consisted of 220 taxus with 10 inch balls planted all with one helper in 12 hours with a tiller an shovel . thats gettin busy !!