30 sq. yard sod rolls??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Oct 18, 2004.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys been pretty busy lately. I have some questions for you guys. I have a sod install Oct. 30th and I can't find as much as help as I would like. We are installing 1,350 square yards of sod! I was thinking about using 30 square yard rolls of sod on this install to speed thing up. Has anyone used these? What size of a tractor do you need? I understand you just need a tractor with a 3 point hitch. Any help would be appreciated, I want to try it, but have never even seen it done, so I need to know if its worth doing.

Thanks,
    Derek

2. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

Your supplier for the rolls should be your biggest help. I have been using 30 yd rolls this year. They are risky to use :dizzy:. If it were to rain while you are laying or have already ordered the rolls you have a problem :dizzy: . I have been blessed to have dry weather while we where laying, but I was sweating it :dizzy: .

The next question is the tractor size. The 30yd rolls weighs about 1800-2000 lbs dry. Your tractor will have to lift that(which most can).

However, your tractor has to have big enough tires to lift the roll off the ground. I cannot remember the minimum size tire,but we use a 43HP Kubota and it works well.

Another thing to consider is the obstacles in your way when laying the sod. A tractor can be a little tough to lay sod with in tight spaces(though it can be done :) ).

If you are only going to do sod jobs this size once a year I won't bother with big rolls. However, if you look to make this a niche, then go for it!!!

drsogr likes this.
  3. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

just wondering what is the price on a roll that big, and what type of sod is it?
    i have never seen anybody use rolls that big around here just squares or 6ft rolls. the only thing that i have ever seen like that is round hay bales not sod

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not done big rolls in a while, but when I did, the "Spider" fork lift on the back of the Sod trailer did the unrolling. Then you neded to be right there to pull the sod sideways to match up to what was already down. The big rolls around here are actually three rolls wraped around a PVC pipe.

5. drsogr

I did talk to my supplier and she was a lot of help. They actually loan out the tool for the tractor. She really wasn't able to tell me what size of tractor to use. We are going to use the big rolls to do the more open areas and then leave the normal slabs to do in the feel in work around the house and such. I am planning on doing 80% sod jobs starting next spring, so I want to give the tractor thing a try, just to see how easy or hard it is to use. If I have a tractor thats one less employee I may need to sod a yard.

6. drsogr

Our sod provider does not do that. I wish they did, that would be a great help! That forklift rules!

7. drsogr

The sod rolls aren't anymore expensive than buying the sod like normal. We pay around a $1.15 a sq. yard around here for sod. They sell them in 30, 40, and 50 sq. yard rolls.

8. drsogr

Does anyone know if the tires for the tractor have to be turf tires? Or does it matter since the tractor will not be going on the sod?

9. MowingisMaddness

I use turf tires, however my tractor does run over the rolls :waving: . The big rolls we use are 4 ft wide so the edge of my tire does run over it and of coarse it runs over the previously laid roll.

10. MowingisMaddness

Judging by the lack of responses, I guess not too many people are using large rolls of sod ;) . I just found my new niche :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: . One time this year my supplier said I was the only one putting down big rolls that week :rolleyes: . Why wouldn't people want to go this route? It is soooo much faster than pallet sod.... aj