~$300 backpack blower for homeowner, 3/4 acre

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dave88LX, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

Have it narrowed down to the following choices. Can't really go much more than this amount of money, as my wife is already looking at me like I'm lazy/crazy for "needing" one.

Specs are all fairly similar. Any input on these models? Other features which would put one above the other? Are the specs close enough to be considered a "wash"?

I am on 3/4 acre, backed to the woods. I can just blow everything over to the woods line which would be verrrry nice.

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Echo PB-500H/PB-500T (any input on hip vs. tube mounted throttle?)
    $329
    CC: 50.8
    MPH: 195
    CFM: 465 (w/ tube)
    MPH x CFM = 90675

Stihl BR350
    $369
    CC: 63.3
    MPH: 168
    CFM: 441 (w/ tube)
    MPH x CFM = 74088

Husqvarna 350BT/350BH (frame vs. tube controls)
    $319
    CC: 50.2
    MPH: 180
    CFM: 494 (w/ tube)
    MPH x CFM = 88920

Husqvarna 150BT (bit lower class than above I gather)
    $299
    CC: 50.2
    MPH: 251 (see below, I assume in housing, not tube?)
    CFM: 710 (in housing, I assume this is not tube)

- Dave

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Which ever one you get take the muffler off.

3. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

Can't tell if you're serious or not...

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The waist belts on the Husqvarna blowers are nice for taking the weight off your shoulders. I used hip mounted throttles for 10 years but now that I have a tube mounted one I prefer it...free us the other hand for picking up sticks or whatever you want to do with it.

Not really sure what the difference is between the 150 and 350 but the 350s are a pretty decent and reliable unit.

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Don't even waste your time.

He is, they're so worthless that by taking the muffler off you might get the power you need out of one.

6. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

If you are willing to spend that kind of money, why don't you get a price on having it done for you. Saves time, money, and were tear on equipment. I'm sure you have a local guy who is willing to blow leaves for you.

7. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

On getting a blower?

Got it, thanks.

I have gotten quotes on other things, and the people around here are astronomical. Maybe it's my locale. Costs would add up getting it done year after year also.

If I could find a quality landscape/lawn person who would do a good job and not rake me over the coals, that'd be one thing. But I'm getting quotes of $700 for pest control, $3500 to run a skidsteer for a couple days etc. Maybe the lawn business is different though.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Not everyone can afford a top end blower, and of the ones he listed I would definitely go with the 350. I don't belive they even make the 150 now, but they do still have the specs on their site. The main difference in them is that the 350 is a strato-charged engine (like all their pro grade blowers are), which means better on fuel and lower emmisions.

For the size place in that pic, a 350 would be more than enough blower.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Get a quote and then when it comes out to $500 or more, show that to the wife and use it to justify getting a top of the line blower, lol. If you were a pro I'd say to step up to something bigger, but as a homeowner those units should work fine for you as long as you're not trying to move large piles of soaking wet leaves long distances or anything.

10. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

:laugh:

Looking at my yard and the 7-10 huge oaks, is that a $500 leaf removal job?

Her answer would be: Why can't you just rake it, and take the 2 and 4 year old out with you? Actually it would be more like "don't you have better things you could work on?"