1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

~$300 backpack blower for homeowner, 3/4 acre

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dave88LX, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

I also believe the 570 has roughly a 30mph wind speed advantage over the 580 which is exactky what the Dr ordered for wet leaves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

...and so it begins.:laugh:

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah Ridin' you're just jealous that I have a longer tube than you do. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well...better get something done here. It's a rain day but no shortage of stuff I should be doing. Got no lights at all on my landscape trailer.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I use mine to scour all the gravel/dirt the county plows blast into my yards in the spring. It does it with ease. It'll move some pretty large branches around too, especially if they have leaves on them to catch the wind. Be careful around siding etc, 'cause it can tear it loose/off if you're not careful, and will lift and move large pieces of asphalt if your driveway is paved and has any loose pieces in it.

I also have used my blowers for years now to dry my vehicles and machines off after washing them.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

See what I'm talking about? Mean, just plain mean.

Darryl, that's really hitting below the belt....... literally:laugh::laugh:

6. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

Is the higher cfm just better for blowing dry stuff and the lower cfm but higher wind exit speed more suited for "scouring" wet debris from a surface?

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and you can alter them a bit by adding/subtracting tube lengths and using different tips.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Many guys in the will say that CFM is everything, but that's not totally correct.

CFM is what moves large piles of debris and keeps it moving, but MPH is what gets it started so the CFM can take over. High MPH does a lot more for scouring up stuck down debris than CFM, and it also makes moving lighter debris easier because CFM needs some mass to actually work against. Having a machine with high numbers in both areas is the best of both worlds and something that all the top tier blowers have. It's just that some have it more than others.

High CFM is better for moving wet debris than high MPH.

9. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

So one might say that MPH is like HP and CFM like TQ perhaps.

Not to derail the thread but on my ECHO PB-300e it had the OE flex tube coming from the fan and the next tube (whatever that's called, the extension tube #1 maybe...) and im thinking about ordering extension tube #2 and the curved end piece that is the last one on the tube configuration. This would be a wise move, correct? It just seems like now I have plenty of CFM but the MPH is lacking, no focus of the air really.

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Yes, that is the exact anology I was going to use, but was too lazy to type.

If you have a curved tip on your blower, you'll experience more back thrust than you will with a straight tip. However, having the curved tip helps when the tip is close to the ground and you're trying to move leaves forward. It tends to make the airflow get under and lift the leaves where the CFM can make them move forwards more readily.

Having another center tube section will get the tip down closer to the ground, which concentrates the airflow closer to the ground and leaves the impression that you have more MPH than you really do. The only true way to gain CFM or MPH is with more power, or a better fan design on the same HP engine. Still, you can maniplulate the CFM/MPH to some degree by either narrowing the nozzle opening which gives higher MPH but reduces CFM, or by opening the nozzle diameter at the tip to increase CFM but decrease MPH.