1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

~$300 backpack blower for homeowner, 3/4 acre

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dave88LX, Nov 18, 2012.

1. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

It seems like Darryl and I go separate ways on everything.

I don't do the rocks in the zip-lock bag, but it is much quicker than door-to-door. I have found that many people let them sit in their driveway and blow onto the street or their yard.

I don't expect you to mail out postcards but that seems to be one of the best ways and it is how I will be marketing from now on. With ads in a few papers/magazines as well.

-Michael

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think someone missed the point, lol.

3. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

I hate you guys.

570BTS.

[​IMG]

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Is that where you'll be sleeping for a while too? LOL. Congratulations.

Keep in mind that the engine may be a little tight at first, so throttle response may not be great and it won't have it's full power until you run 5 or more tanks of fuel through it. And don't run it full throttle for any extended periods at first either.

Please post back here after you've gotten a chance to use it a bit.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Is that yours?

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Why not run it at full throttle? Both Stihl and Husky say that any blower is safe to do that with since they are considered under load at all times when running. Mine didn't have any throttle lag at first. None. It did take more than 5 tanks full though to really start to breeak in good. More like closer to 10 IIRC.

7. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips Darryl. I'll take it easy. Yessir, picked it up after work today. The more I read and researched, the more I was sold on one of these higher grade units.

My wife asked how much it was, I said "4 something", which, without tax, is accurate!:cool2: Then her jaw dropped and I got the "You spent $400 dollars on that thing! Said that it's more cost effective for me to work and make the money to pay for it than I would be for days out there raking. Called me a dork, Ghostbuster, and a few other names, and went about our business. :laugh:

8. Brules

Brules LawnSite Member

HAHAHAHAHA AWESOME! Same one I have......

My only tip is run high quality oil in the mix.....my dealer said he had several crews start to use them and they were running their Stihl mix through the Husqys and the engines were burning up as they run much hotter than a lot of the other units. He wasn't selling me oil as he said use anything rated equal to the Husqy mix and I would be fine.

Enjoy it! It is a beast!

Make the extra $ back by blowing some other yards around you if you have to.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Dave-
    you'll find that it is a LOT more comfortable to run (especially for longer periods) if you take the pistol grip off, and flip it upside down and reverse it so that it is sitting above the tube instead of down along side it.
    These pics show what I mean-
    [​IMG]

100_1430.jpg

10. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Nice garage floor Dave. When did you do it? I did mine in the tan color about 5-6 years ago and it is starting to wear in places. I will be doing it again.

Congrats on the blower