300 gallon tank on a trailer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

It seems that most of the larger tanks I see around town on the truck itself.

However, my plan is to get a flat bed trailer and pull it with my pick up. I'd like to get the 300 gallon tank, but now I'm concerned about braking, etc. I know from experience that when that stuff starts sloshing around in the tank, it can really be forceful.

Anyone else using a trailer to pull a 300 gallon tank? If I do this, should I invest in a trailer with brakes?

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

2. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

I would think so. You'll have 1.5 tons on the trailer plus the trailer weight all pushing at one point when you brake. I don't know what you're pulling it with but I would think that the principal of "towing vehicle should be twice the weight of the towed vehicle or else brake assistance is needed", should apply. As far as sloshing goes you're right imagine having had to brake hard to prevent a rear-ender and then hitting the car none the less because of the return water surge.
    I think brakes are a good idea. I have pulled one hundred gallon tanks without brakes but wouldn't care to go higher in weight.

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 200 gal tank on a 3kgvw tailer pulling with a f-250, Idon't have any problems. Last year I pulled it with an f-150 and ate through brake pads 2 times.

Best thing to do is watch your speed and stopping distances. 1/2 full is worse than full for pushing. Also check your ball regularly, the sloshing tends to make the ball work loose.

4. Meier

from DFW

What is a "3kgvw tailer"?

I'm hoping I can pull this with my 3.3L V-6 Nissan Frontier. I don't mind changing brake pads because I do that myself. All it costs me is the pads and fluid.

The hitch is rated for 4,000 pounds. 300 gallons is about 2,400 pounds, plus the wieght of the trailer. Of course, when it sloshes around in the tank, it'll exert a lot more force on the hitch.

I won't have to get on the interestate very much, if at all, with the trailer. I think a 3.3L v-6 will do the job for around town driving...it's stopping that concerns me.

I may have to go to a 200 gallon tank. The average lawn around here is about 5,000 sq ft...at 2 gallons per 1,000, I should be able to treate about 20 lawns with a 200 gallon tank...30 lawns with a 300 gallon tank.

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

3000 lb gross combined vehicle weight rating

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 300 gallon set up, it is actually 3-100 gal tanks instead of the 1 tank. I pull it on a trailer rated at 4000 lbs with a 1 ton dually chevy, no problem at all, without brakes on the trailer. However I occasionally pull it with my 99 mountaineer with the v-6 and it about pulls the guts out of that vehicle, really knocks it around, the vehicle doesn't weigh as much as my 1 ton. I think you may have problems pulling with your frontier, the 300 gallons will weigh more than 8lbs per gallon if you are adding fertilizer.

7. Meier

from DFW

++++I think you may have problems pulling with your frontier, the 300 gallons will weigh more than 8lbs per gallon if you are adding fertilizer.++++

I appreciate the feedback. When you say it 'pulls the guts out of the v-6', do you mean you have more problems braking? Or is it running too many rpm's?

You mentioned you have no brakes on the trailer. Do you think I would be ok using the Nissan Frontier to pull a 300 gallon tank if I get brakes on the trailer?

(I hate the thought of getting a bigger pick-up...worse gas mileage and it won't fit in my garage...I hate the thought of parking my vehicle in the driveway.)

Later,
    DFW, TX

8. I had a 525gal system mounted on a 3500# trailer, did frin even pulling it with an F150.

9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how to describe it other than it really yanks the mountaineer around, stopping isn't that big of a deal because you can't really get going all that fast, seems like you are on a really steep hill going into a headwind. All you can do is give it a try, the 300 gal makes the most sense and you could always run it with less gallons if it was too much for the frontier, and then upgrade to a bigger truck later on, if the need arises.

10. Meier

from DFW

I figure I'll buy the 300 gallon spray rig from Lesco. With a custom trailer, I figure $7 to $8K ought to be enough cash. Not sure how much the trailer brakes add to this total.

$7 to $8K sound about right to everyone else? I'm figuring that will get me two 300' hose reals with the automatic re-wind, a trailer and the 300 gallon spray rig.

Later,
    DFW, TX