300 Hour Maintenance - a Must??

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by FCS Services, Jan 2, 2008.

1. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

PJ, I have a Super Z 25/52 Kaw. The mower has just over 300 hours on it. My question is how important is it to have the 300 hours maintenance that the book says?? The reason for my question is that the closest Kaw. Dealer is 45 miles away and its a small shop and probably has never worked on this type of motor/mower. What if I take it down there and the shop mess it up and it never runs right again?? what to do???....

Thanks
    Frank

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You or your dealer can perform the maintenance.
    we recommend it for a reason, longer product life.
    If you think the dealer isn't going to be able to work on it talk to him, or take it to a different dealer.
    The dealer is responsible for the work they do.

Pj

3. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

what does the maintenance involve?

4. FCS Services

PJ - The dealers around here don't seem like the do any mechanical work. One dealer is about 40 miles to the south. They are a retail store for farm equipment like tractors, trailers and implements. I have ask several times about maintenance stuff and didn’t get much response (they don‘t seem to want to do anything more then sell you a mower) . The other dealer (where I bought the super Z) is about 65 miles to the NW. The primarily sell large irrigation sprinklers.

How hard is it to do the work myself?? I maintain all of my other equipment.

Thanks
    Frank

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Take a look at your maintenance schedule inside the owner manual, there are numerous items to be checked and lubed and such at various hour intervals.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

As I mentioned, I would talk to the dealer.
    Of course anyone with mechanical knowledge and the right tools can do their own maintenance for the most part.

7. FCS Services

PJ, The manual says that the 300 hour maintenance on the 25 Kaw. is to be done by a Kaw. dealer. Its says that the combustion chamber needs to be cleaned and the valves laped??? I'm not talking about maintenance on the maching. I'm talking about maintenance on the Kaw. motor. The mechine maint. is no prob..

Thanks

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have you talked to any Kawasaki dealers?
    Getting into the engine is a bit more than what I would consider a end user to do.