1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

300 inches

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Matt, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

The local paper had yearly snowfalls for area community's listed the other day. One of the neighboring towns has recorded 300" YTD, with another in the 230" range. We need more of the white money.
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Now, now, Matt....
    Stop that.
    I learned a long time ago that it isn't nice to rub it in about just how good we have it here in Lake Effect country.... it just irritates the other posters.....
  3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

It makes guys like me who only received about 36" feel like less of a Snow & Ice Management Associate!!!

4. earth works inc.

earth works inc. LawnSite Member

Hey Slim: how about the guy who is only at 17 inches for the season. I think i will continue being a sima member. maybe someday we can figure how to get johns lake effect directed in our direction.

By the way why doesnt your state make lake michigan a little wider so when those north winds come down to dayton we get alittle more snow.
  5. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

That is down right amazing that you guys don't get burned out with that much snow. We've had about 65" so far this year and I could care less if it snowed in Mar.
  6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just joking... just a little jealousy over all the snow that the guys along the coast are getting. Of course I will remain a member of SIMA.

Making Lake Michigan wider huh? How about a SIMA gathering... BRING YOUR SHOVELS!!! LOL

7. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Right now i have had enough snow to last me till next winter. over 2' here and know where to put it.
  8. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

I wasn't trying to rub it in just letting peaple know how the year is progressing. The bad thing about getting the amount of snow we do is nobody really cares about the liability issue. We try to educate them on the accident possibility, but they thing it is not important. The other thing is that every 4x4 has a plow on it and trying to get a decent $ for your sevice is difficult. I would much rather plow less snow for a higher margin which is what I think everybody would rather do.
    The other thing that happens a lot is not the over estimation of snow, but the under estimation. They may call for 3-6" and we end up getting 10-12" or more.
  9. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Tim
    I'll come up with the bobcat and the backhoe and we'll get Lake Michigan out to Elgin for you. But you gotta come west and help me widen the Mississippi:). I don't think we had as much as 36" and 98% of that came in Dec.
  10. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

SCL while you're at it drag it a little bit farther south too so Dayton can get some.