300 yards of pond muck disposal?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dvlscape, Nov 24, 2008.

1. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

Does anybody know where one would dispose of 300 + / - yards of pond sludge? Once this stuff dries out I know it would be awsome compost. The only thing keeping me from taking on a $20,000 - $25,000 1/4 acre pond cleanout is where to dispose of the spoils.

2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

idk i know a lot of dredgings around here sometimes is considered hazardous because of the years of chemicals, fertizliers, oils etc settled in the muck...

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe local farmers?

Based on what the previos poster said though.........I don't know.

4. ClearViewGroup

ClearViewGroup LawnSite Member

often if you have an open area guys will just spread it out and let it dry then grade it...look up Dirtman2007 he does ALOT of pond work

5. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I have run ads in craigslist and newspaper for free fill with overwhelming results. Might work with pond sludge.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Any room to spread and let it dry on site, then ad to give it away as argos suggested?

7. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

I've considered spreading it on site, but we are talking a high end property here, not my first choice, more like my last choice. I have also contacted some local farmers and have had no interest so far.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

talk to a nursery or a company that makes soil in your area, maybe they will let you dispose of it for free and they can make something out of it.

9. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

If I do happen to find someone to take the muck, then there is the problem of finding someone with sealed body dump trucks to haul this stuff to the dump site. Regular dump trucks will leak all over the township.

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Local soil/compost/mulch company should be very interested. They may even bring their own trucks in to get it. Contact trucking companies, tell them what you have and they will know where to take it for you or someone else.