$3000 budget- What to buy

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by njroadie, Apr 1, 2001.

1. njroadie

njroadie LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am a homeowner with 1.5 acres of pretty open lawn. I am getting rid of my lawn tractor to get something a little faster with a better cut. What you recommend for a guy on a $3000 budget? Here are some things I have looked at:

$3000 Ariens ZTR from Home Depot
    $2650 for a Bobcat 48" WB with 17 HP Kawi
    $1700 for a used Gravely 50" 14HP Kawi

I am not stuck on any of the above options. I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks for the help!
    -Ken

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Up your budget by 500 and get a 52" Toro gear drive with a velke. Opt for a kawi and you are good to go.

3. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

My lawn is also 1.5ac and I just made the same switch. I opted for the Exmark 48" belt-drive WB w/15 HP Kawasaki. Feedback I found on this site, plus information from local dealers suggested it was a very good brand. I'm especially interested in mulching which it is supposed to be very good at.

Mine arrives later this week so I don't have a first hand report just yet.

4. njroadie

njroadie LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the Exmark? In addition to hearing about brands and capabilities, I am trying to benchmark prices so I can negotiate intelligently with dealers. I would like to know a good deal when I find one!

5. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

The specific model I purchased was the Exmark Metro HP 48" with 15 hp Kawasaki engine. In my area it was as high as $3350 and as low as $2960 from different dealers.

Here in the greater Seattle area the prices seem higher than many other prices I've seen quoted on this board, for both Exmark and Scag. Perhaps I didn't shop enough.

6. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

Go with the Bobcat and spend the extra money on a velke

7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I personally like Gravely. Even though I love my Ariens 21", that ZTR is a POS. I don't know alot of Bobcat's except their skidsteers. If you are using it for home use ONLY, Snapper might be okay too.