3000 ft new lawn install...a few basic questions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Sep 15, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I did a search on this but not much there...I dont do new installs...mostly renovations of existing. Well one of my better commercial customers just built a new patio home and insists I do the lawn install(yuck frankly...dont like this kind of work)...I already agreed to the landscaping...the contractor did a rough grade(and I mean rough) and dumped top soil and spread it around.
    There seems to be enough topsoil in most places. I am not buying any new tools to do this job and I dont own a hydro seeder, tractor, and whatever that thing is that you lawn installers pull behind to grade/level/prep...frist of all i want to a good job, make a buck, charge a fair price, AND not look like some scrub on his first real job. I have my Lesco seed and starter fert chosen so I'm ok there....would you mind telling me how you would do this with hand tools and no hydroseeder??? Also, would you give you me a ballpark estiamate on cost? Like I said I dont do installs so you wont insult me no matter how basic your info is....you can email me if you prefer...thanks very much

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mean its ready to go now, and your wanting to get the seed down?

If so, here is what I do. I aerate the ground real good for seedbed prep and then use the spreader to lay the seed out. Put the starter fertilizer down and then in some rare instances I take my lawn roller with very little weight and lightly roll the area to make sure the seed has good soil contact.

Also, if the soil needs lime, I would put it out when I aerated.

3. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Add top soil where needed, scratch up the surface a little bit, spread your seed, fertilizer and lime if needed, cover with either peat moss or straw to keep some moisture in, roll it with an empty roller to insure good seed contact with the soil, water. Last time I did a job like this I think it worked out to about .40 to .50 cents a square foot. Have fun.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

WMSLAND...does you 40 to 50 cents per ft include materials?? just want to be clear...thanks much

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I'd look at a days worth of labor, (8 man hours) 25 pounds of seed, a bag of fert and 3 bales of straw. Rough it up with a rototiller, rake it out, seed, fert and straw it. i'd say $6-700. >40-.50 a foot? WOW

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

8 hours? For 3000sf? All the prep work is done. My Plugr's would break the soil up like a tiller in about 20 minutes. $30 worth of seed down and $6 worth of starter fertilizer. I've done many of these and they are in and out when the prep work is already done.

7. aquaturf

aquaturf LawnSite Member
    from MA

I don't have experience with the aerator method, so I would vote for the rototiller approach as SCL mentioned. And I would suggest that you figure on a day when you consider picking up the materials, doing the work, and customer service afterward. Most people have no clue how to grow grass, remind them that it is a living thing and it NEEDS water. You might even want to set up some hoses and sprinklers for him, especially if the customer is a good client. That will impress and hopefully ensure that the seed gets the water it needs. If you do all this, I would figure a day and roughly $750. If that seems high, remember, if the grass doesn't come in well for whatever reason, you will get a phone call......and that will cost you time and money to add more seed.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You also need to think about the long term. If you till the ground it will be extremely soft. Especially with it being water everyday. What happens to a tilled area when you walk on it? You sink to your ankles. So over the couse of a few months you will have tons on footprints in the soil. Also, you will have some major ruts over time when your mowing.

Seed needs good soil contact and water.

9. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

kitzy - The .40 to.50 cents per square foot does include all materials.

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I with SCL on this one, there is no way it should take more than 8 hrs to do this job and $70 worth of material.