301.8 on Demo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Squizzy246B, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

The things I like about a machine of this size:

1. It fits in a 12ft trailer with plenty of room for the rest of the cra....ahhh stuff we carry around.:)

2. It fits between a small shed and a sewage riser and digs out footings in an area that was too tight for our 161.

tight 021.jpg

2. Squizzy246B

3. It can lift and lay a 550lb block.

Blockhead 020.jpg

3. Squizzy246B

4. It can dig along an old fibre cement fence so it can be removed nice and easy.

Digga 015.jpg

4. Squizzy246B

My kids love it!.

Having done some serious work in this 2nd Hand machine in the last week I, for the life of me, don't know why we haven't bought one years ago. We are looking now at the 2006 model when it hits the shores down under...anybody know anything about the 06 Cat mini's.

BTW - Hitachi don't bring the 1.7 machine down here:confused: :(

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

nice machines arent they the miny-x of any kind rock

6. Squizzy246B

I have never run one this small before. I must admit that I had a lot of fun, better still the machine proved very productive.

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Squizzy:

You want to know our biggest beef with the 301.8?

It does the things we were doing other ways so fast that I have to sell more work to keep the guys busy or, someone is getting laid off soon....Not a bad problem to have.

8. Squizzy246B

Yep, I think I'll manage:)

9. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks squizzy for the great review and photos. I'm leaning towards purchasing this machine myself. Your information is very helpful.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Nice little machine :D

The problem I can see for me would be my knees would be throbbing I get all cramped up running some full size excavators.

When you get into machines that small they are nice to have but you sure would have to have enough work to pay for itself. Most contractors struggle to keep enough work for a 6000lb mini but for a 10-11,000lb mini there is lots of work. If a contractor needs a machine that small they will rent it there is no way it can be justifyable to buy.