30hp Kohler Update

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by blackandgold, Jul 26, 2006.

1. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

In case anyone needs to get their new 30hp Kohler updated, bring this part number to your local Hustler & Kohler dealer and they can order it for you.

part# 24-054-19-S

Even if your mower is not experiencing any power related problems or is not blowing black smoke, I would still get this updated. Now my 30hp feels like
    30hp.

2. risdaone

risdaone LawnSite Member

I agree. I demoed a 66/30 and it didn't stall or flood, but it did lack power going up hills and starting full throttle in thick grass. I just got a new 72/30 with the new carb. on the it and it is strong threw out unless you put a heavy,heavy load. Then it takes about 2 seconds to recover.

3. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

I agree.. This part seems to have added horsepower if nothing else...Had mine for 2 weeks and could tell an immediate difference.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Is that just the intake tube? Mine starts better but does not feel like it has gained any power. I can not tell a difference between it and my 27. I would like to be able to run doubles without having to crawl.

5. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

Shady B sorry this hasn't helped with your scanerio. So far, since the new tube came out I must say I feel better about my decision to go 30. I've heard nothing but negatives from the board when discussions turn to the 30 and nothing but raves when talking 28 efi. This is a bit suspicious as normally there is a down side to everything. Sometimes we want to feel like we've made the right decision so we will ignore or go into denial on any negatives concerning our chosen product. You may want to trade for one before you get much time on it. Unless something blows on mine I'm going to stick with the 30 and watch for a higher horsepower efi controlled engine thats better on gas to come out. I'm sure its just around the corner. I have several larger commercial properties the 30 is doing great in (speed & cut). I don't want to back up now. Good Luck.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

According to Kohler they are in the process of fuel injecting your 30 now.

7. puppypaws

According to Kohler they are in the process of fuel injecting your 30 now and there has been absolutely no downside to my 28 efi. It cranks better, runs stronger and gets better fuel economy than any of the other engines I have run on Super Z's and unless I could get a 31 efi it would be the engine I would buy tomorrow if I was buying another one.

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Would you buy 1 with the EFI even if you had no dealer within a 100 miles to repair the efi? Around here everyone can work on the 30 if need be, but no one the efi.

9. puppypaws

The answer to that is yes, I would buy the 28 efi if there was a dealer within 100 miles because mine has been flawless and I really don't look to need my dealer for quiet a while but there is always a chance. I am to old to be aggravated by a piece of equipment if something happens I don't like I trade it and get a new one but you can believe I research and talk with the manufactures of anything I buy. There is always going to be problems with anything man made and the equipment is no better than the manufactures customer service and the dealer and I have the best of both. That would be a good question for the lawn service people that mow for a living, what kind of dealer do you actually have one that is dedicated to the lawn service industry or one that just sells lawnmowers and does not really look after his customers. I think a lot of the so called dealers may be in the ag business with mowers as a second line, they just want to sell them and make a quick dollar and hope not to aggravated with the service work, I believe this is why you have so many so called dealers that want put forth the effort to learn the efi system. The electronic fuel injected engines are just way ahead of the carburetor ones that is exactly the reason your vehicles are fuel injected because it is the best technology today.

10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

PJ, Or anyone else Is there any way to look up a serial number off the machine to check if it was updated. I just got it today, and it felt underpowered compares to the 26LC Kawi I demoed??? My dealer looked up their weekly updates and have seen nothing on any of the Kohler 30 hp. I also want to find out about the blowout baffle. I'm mulching and really notice more on this machine in 1 day, than 3 days with the other machine. Huge difference but the dealer said everything is the same. I'm wondering if the stripe roller on this 66" deck is changing the rake at all when the deck is lowered???