30hp Kohler vs 26hp Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laird006, Feb 10, 2008.

1. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

Just as the title states, between the 30hp, 725cc Kohler and a 26hp liquid cooled 675cc Kawasaki, which would you choose and why.

The Kohler has 49.9 ft/lbs of torque at 2600rpm and is on the pup.

The Kawasaki has 42.22 ft/lbs at 2400rpm and is on the lightning.

Pros vs Cons of each.

These are on bad boy's pup and lightning mowers.

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I was in your same shoes when I was buying my first machine from them. I went to get the 30hp, but when I got to the dealer and saw the lightning, that was what I brought home. The LC is rated to last 2 to 3 times longer than the air-cooled engine (with proper maintenance). The lightning is only $1000 more, and it give you the 4 wheel suspension system, the $500 michigan air-ride seat, and the lc motor. Not to mention the 14mph versus the 10 or 11mph the pup offers. If your budget is set at the pup, and it would put you out to spend the extra grand, get it. If you want a little better lifespan, little more comfort, and a little more juice, go for the lightning. Just because the Kohler Command has more horses, doesn't make it a better engine application. I run into this everyday at the shop. People just can't comprehend why the 23hp Vanguard is higher than the 26hp Briggs els, or in your shoes why the 30hp Kohler is cheaper than the 26hp Kawasaki. It all comes down to lifespan, quality, bigger and better machine i.e. bigger tires, pumps, speed, seat, suspension. The Pup ride is very comfortable just as long as you don't get on the lightning. You will be alot happier mowing all day on the lightning though. Just my 2 hope it helps your decision....oh, ps if you are paying it out, there is only about a $15 to $30 a month difference in the 2 on a 36 or 48 month payment.

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

My last Kawasaki didn’t last that long.:drinkup:

4. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

have you tried the bagging system on the 26? does it still have plenty of power?

5. retrodog

Yeah, I got the 3 bagger system with mine. I had the 52" deck with no problem at all. I ended up taking off the bagger though, because it dispersed the clippings so well. It was just taking me longer to cut with it by having to dump the bags. I ended up getting the advance chute system for $200 bucks, and it opens and closes from the seat allowing me to not throw grass in the roads and flowerbeds. It also mulches surprisingly well while closed. I did quite a few yards with leaves. I thought I would put my bagger back on for the fall, but didn't have to. The yards looked great with the acs system! I honestly got the bagger system cause my Hoppers left clumps and lines of grass. I just thought all mowers did that.

6. retrodog

Hey, I didn't notice any dealers listed in Maryland on the website, did you get a new dealer up there, or are you purchasing it straight from the factory?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The 30hp Kohler is 747cc, not 725cc.

I would go with the Kohler before the 26lc Kawi any day.

The 30 will eat the 26lc for dinner and ask for seconds.

These are all 3000 hr motors if taken care of.

You'll never have to worry about a radiator, water pump, coolant hose or thermostat on an A/C Kohler.

KISS principal.

8. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

Would be getting it from Adkins in Laurel, De. About 20 minutes from my house. Great dealer.

9. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

From BadBoy's website the Kohler on the pup is 725cc. Could be wrong. Just saying it because I want to know if we're referring to the same 30hp Kohler motor

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

From the horses mouth on this page.

MODEL Command PRO CV750
    MAX. POWER @ 3600 RPM hp (kW) 30 (22.4)
    DISPLACEMENT cu. in. (cc) 45 (747)
    BORE in. (mm) 3.3 (83)
    STROKE in. (mm) 2.7 (69)

2mm more stroke than the 25, 27, and 28hp.